The Shameful Snakekit

This is a bit of a background story to the character of Snakekit from my Mosskit series. A lot of you really enjoyed her, so I'm bringing her back! I plan to write one or two more stories about her in the future. This is a prequel to a character in Mosskit Book 2: The Journey, so it's completely acceptable to read this before checking out that novel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the warm walls of the nursery den, Webfoot of FireClan gave birth to three kits. The she-cat's pregnancy had been a surprise, and something she had not wanted. Needleclaw, a burly dark tom and her former mate, had been cruel and abusive toward her until he had been exiled.

Finding out she had been pregnant was one of the worst days of Webfoot's life. She tried to listen to the others as they assured her it would be a blessing from StarClan and that the clan would be stronger, but she was doubtful of this.

Suckling at her belly were three kits. Two were gray tabby toms whose pelt color was identical to hers. Seeing the two tiny toms had softened her frustrated spirits, and she was beginning to look at them fondly. She had named them Lakekit and Ferretkit, respectively.

Her eyes fell on the third kit. A tiny and weak black she-cat whose pelt was as dark as her fathers. Webfoot secretly hoped the kit would die. Her daughter too close resembled her former mate, and she was much too small to be a valuable warrior to the clan.

She had been forced by the medicine cat to finally name the she-cat after it appeared she would live. And Webfoot, glaring at the kitten, named her Snakekit, a ghastly name for a horrific daughter.

Perhaps Webfoot was growing toward Lakekit and Ferretkit, but she would never love her daughter.

...

Snakekit's eyes followed the tail of Lakekit as he swung it around. She leapt and landed on it, letting out a snicker of joy.

"Mind it, will you?!" Lakekit sneered, swinging his tail back around.

Snakekit frowned and walked around to face her big brothers. 

"Can I play with you today?" she asked.

"You're too small," Ferretkit explained. 

"I'm getting bigger!" Snakekit squeaked, fur standing on end.

"Yeah, your ego," Lakekit muttered.

"Leave your brothers alone, Snakekit," her mother snapped. "Playtime is important for kits who want to be apprentices someday."

"Then why can't I play? I'm going to be a warrior!" she exclaimed.

Snakekit didn't understand why her mother paid no attention to her. It wasn't as if she was very affectionate with her siblings either, but not once had her mother been kind to her. She slept in a separate nest, her fur was never licked clean, and every glance at Webfoot brought about some sort of glare or unsheathed claws.

Webfoot only snickered at this comment and turned away.

Lakekit and Ferretkit sometimes paid attention to Snakekit, but very rarely. They were usually too busy enjoying each other's company anyway.

No other kits were in the nursery at the time, leaving Snakekit alone and with no friends. She was oftentimes lonely and occupied herself with trivial games such as chasing her tail or tossing a leaf around by herself.

The medicine cat, Mossystep, would sometimes stop by and keep Snakekit company for a little bit. Mossystep was only there to examine Snakekit, but Snakekit thought that Mossystep was her closest friend, since she was the only cat who asked Snakekit how she was and said good things about her like "You're nearly the size your brothers were a moon ago" and "Those eyes are becoming greener every day."