chapter 11

Hiccups pov

It’s been almost 2 weeks since Dagur attacked and everything was going OK for once! Apart from one small accident where snotlout got his house set on fire…

Flashback

I was walking through the village after repairing one of our ships that got caught on the rocks surrounding berk, when I heard a girl screaming. I ran in the direction of the voice and found snotlouts house, and pants, on fire. I also found that it wasn’t a girl screaming, it was snotlout. After putting out the fire, me, Astrid, Eret and Fishlegs went to go and ask snotlout what had happened; the twins were celebrating something they called pain day (we called it idiot day) where they tested this ‘list’ that they had been making since they were 7 of all the things that hurt them.

“So snotlout, how did your house end up on fire?” Astrid asked, smiling slyly.

“Uh… well… um… I was practicing my dragonease in the woods when all of a sudden a monstrous nightmare appeared and started chasing me. It managed to set my pants on fire so I ran inside to hide but it ended up setting that on fire too.” He explained.

“What exactly did you say in the woods?” I asked. He said something in dragonease and I couldn’t help but think how stupid my cousin is, it’s hard to believe I’m even related to him! “You do realise that dragons have sensitive hearing so it probably heard you and thought you were calling it fat?”

“So that’s what I was saying!” snotlout said.

“Hey, you said that to me this morning!” Astrid shouted giving him an angry glare. I said something to her in dragonease. “What does that mean?”

“Don’t worry, I know your beautiful.” I whispered into her ear.

End of flashback

Luckily not much damage was done to snotlouts house, so he repaired it himself. I was meeting the gang in the great hall for lunch in 10 minutes, so I started walking that way. It was only 3 days until snoggletog so we had all the decorations out, ready for the snoggletog party. This also meant that most the dragons were gone to have their babies so it was actually quite quiet and has been for the past few days. I walked into the great hall to find groups of Vikings eating, laughing and just generally having a good time; it was weird considering most the dragons had left. I went over to our usual table, it had been our table for around 7 years now, and joined the rest of the gang who were already there.

“Hey” I said, giving Astrid a quick kiss.

“Hey” she said in return.

“Hiccup, did you know heather’s coming to stay a few weeks after snoggletog?” Fishlegs asked. Dammit! I forgot to tell them all.

“Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about that. How’d you find out?” I asked.

“She wrote to us.” Snotlout said, he seemed proud of himself, “She put my name first.” That’s why.

“Yeah, she airmailed me about a week ago saying she’s coming over, she even has her own dragon now!” snotlouts face sunk to the fact that heather had written to me personally and before him.

“Hang on, who is the ‘heather’ girl?” Eret asked.

“Well, when we were around 15, snotlout found this girl called heather washed up on the shores of berk. She lived with us for a bit but then we found out she was working for the outcasts.” Fishlegs began to explain.

“So that’s how you became friends with the outcasts?” Eret asked.

“No, that’s a different story. Heather gave the book of dragons to the outcasts, so we had to get it back.” Snotlout carried on.

“YES!!!” tuff shouted.

“Why are you so happy about that?” Astrid asked her.

“Im not, I just won a staring contest” Tuff replied.

“Anyway, she helped us get the book back and we helped her save her parents, so now we’re friends.” I finished the explanation but Eret just looked confused.

“Basically, she’s an old friend of ours.” Astrid said, summing it up. Eret nodded, finally understanding. Then we heard a scream coming from outside. Me and Astrid instantly ran outside, but we couldn’t see anything! There was a big cloud of smoke covering almost all the village, and somehow, things were falling apart all over the place, but nobody could really see what was happening. Then it hit me. Literally, a smothering smoke breath hit my leg, trying to take my metal one. And there I was, thinking life on berk was peaceful for once…

<><><><><><><><><><> 

Hey guys! Finally updated yay :)! Sorry its all in hiccups pov but I think most of the next chapter will be Astrid and maybe a bit of fishlegs :) hope you enjoyed it! And thank you @SecretlyNerd for the smoke breaths idea, if you haven’t already, you should go and check out their stories, they’re amazing and I think you’d all love them!! Byeeeeeeee