Home

The two were walking home, and Paul was fiddling with his fingers nervously. The sounds of the stomping of feet against the rough surface was the only thing heard, along with the very loud and harmonious cricket chirping, since it was now night-time.

"What if your aunt doesn't take me in?" Paul asked fearfully, and John chuckled, not paying the thought much mind.

"Mimi has a warm heart, and she's now far more sensitive than ever because of the tragedy we're all going through. She'll understand, I'm sure she will,"

Paul stared up at John in worry, crossing his arms against his chest, "John, that is exactly what I mean! Your family's going through a chaotic loss! I don't want to be more of a burd-"

"Paul," John stared ahead, and Paul was now fiddling with the buttons of his ragged blouse, he muttered a whiny 'Yes', and John shook his head.

"You'll be alright, I won't allow anything terrible to happen to you, okay? You have my word," John shrugged and the other boy exhaled shakily. The two were walking further, both of them getting incredibly tired. John was enjoying the therapeutic silence, until Paul let out a tiny gasp.

"What is it this time, Paul?" John chuckled, trying his hardest not to reveal any hints of annoyance.

"John, you live in the city,"

".... And?"

"There's no way I can adapt to that! It's very noisy and disturbing and I feel so terrified at the idea of being around so many people!"

John frowned, kicking a few pebbles as he ambled. "You're going to have to bear with it, darling. It's either that or you stay homeless and I cannot live with myself if I leave you be. I'll try to offer remedy and help you figure out ways to calm, even in the middle of such an environment. I've mastered the art of that, since I've been living here for so long."

As the words slipped out of John's mouth, Paul released a small smile and stared at John in disbelief and bafflement. He brushed a few strands of his hair out of his eyes and stared back at John, feeling mesmerized and incredibly lucky to have stumbled across such an angel. Homeless people were often dehumanised. They were condemned as pollutants and dirty animals that saunter around and annoy the souls out of people for some change, it's so rare to find a person with an essence so special.

It was rare to find someone who was willing to not only take a homeless stranger in, but to help him out mentally and inwardly, to help him stay connected amidst an uncomfortable environment. He had a heart so big that Paul feared it would engulf our galaxy.

_______________________

"I'm laughing!! on the outside!!!" Paul burst out in a song all of a sudden, frightening the life out of John as he jumped and stared at Paul with a raised eyebrow. Paul was screaming out the lyrics with a fat smile on his face.

"... Crying on the inside-" Paul's face was now shaped into an exaggerated frown, his eyes sinking a bit more. John burst into a fit of chuckles, placing his palm over his mouth and his other hand against his chest. The two were still walking, but John was now wobbling because of the uncontrollable laughter. The streets were still empty and they still had quite a long way to go, but the packed cars were nearing their vision more and more as they walked further.

"Because I'm so in love!!!! With you!!!!

They see me, night and day timee,

Having such a gay time!

They don't know what I go through!!"

Paul was now waving his hands in the air dramatically, his eyebrows furrowed as he was moved by the words he was light-heartedly singing.