Night-Time Sorrow

He clutched the cup of tea and sat cross legged on the couch, silently staring at Mimi. She sipped at her tea, flinching every now and then whenever the hotness came in contact with her tongue.

He could hear the comforting sound of fire cackles, along with the muffled urban noises coming from outside.

He could also hear her melodic breathing, as she stared at the fire, allowing it to brighten up her face, giving it an orange hue, and he saw the fire's reflection in her sullen, brown eyes.

"Feeling any calmer?" He asked, grimacing as he noticed how sensitive his ears were to the interruptive sound of his voice.

She looked at him and shrugged, scooting closer to him and then resting her head on his chest.

He grabbed a strand of her hair and let it lay between his fingers, feeling the softness rub against his calloused skin.

"It's going to be okay," She said, frowning afterwards and then staring at the floor, seeming to doubt her own words.

He placed his mug on the table, as she resumed to sip on the, now warm, tea. He grabbed a book that was cautiously placed beside the fireplace, and handed it to her.

"Reading helps, it'll take your mind off of Julia." He nodded and placed the book on her lap, she wrapped the blanket around her tighter and kissed his cheek, grabbing the book and opening it. She touched the first page with a finger, and then ran her finger down the page, smiling sadly at the pleasant sensations that 'Alice In Wonderland' had to offer.

"Thank you," She whispered, and he patted her shoulder, getting up and then placing a pillow behind her neck to fill in the empty space he'd created.

He dragged his feet upstairs, entering his room and cringing at the bitter mess he's made of it. His guitar was laid on his carpet, and a few papers were scattered around it, he grabbed his guitar and sighed at the familiar grain of wood against his palms. Sitting on his bed, he pushed the gray bedsheets away with his foot and ran his fingers along the thin strings. He seemed to melt into the heart-warming noises and the music as he strummed softly, picking random chords and deciding to abide by his own flow.

He then stopped, playing the first song that came to his mind, and it happened to be interconnected with Julia, of course. They would sit in her backyard whenever John would visit, and she'd hold the most beautiful ukelele and play the song with the fattest smile on her face. He would rest his head on her shoulder and stare at the clouds as she did so.

She would glance at him every now and then in the middle of playing, and he would close his eyes and grin, feeling blissful and ecstatic at the loveliness of it all.

"It's a God-awful small affair," He started, inhaling, feeling the weight of every word as it rolled off his tongue. His eyes were glued shut, as he continued.

"To the girl with the mousy hair,

But her mummy is yelling no
And her daddy has told her to go,

But her friend is nowhere to be seen
Now she walks through her sunken dream
To the seat with the clearest view
And she's hooked to the silver screen,

But the film is a saddening bore
For she's lived it ten times or more
She could spit in the eyes of fools
As they ask her to focus on,

Sailors fighting in the dance hall
Oh man, look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show,
Take a look at the lawman
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man, wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?"