Roadtrip

"How on earth did we lose a bright purple car?" Lex enquired, and Lexon shrugged casually, although his eyes darted nervously across the traffic in search of the purple minivan.

"I think it was Tim's enthusiastic rendition of Captain America: Civil War that did it," he answered, and the boy in question bit his lip.

"Sorry," he apologized, "I just got so excited! I can't believe Ant-Man finally joined the MCU, he's my all-time favourite character -- after Captain America, of course."

"No need to apologize, kid," Lexon chuckled, "just help us find the car."

"I see something purple over there," Luke pointed to the left, and Lexon jerked the steering wheel aggressively, swerving the car to the left just in time to take the turn.

Levi, Tim and Luke gripped their seats fearfully, while the twins let out a cheer at the unexpected manoeuvre. Lex subtly steadied himself using the door, wondering whether it was normal for Lexon to drive like a madman.

If the twins' reaction was anything to go by, the answer was yes.

"I know this is a bit late," Tim muttered, his face a few shades paler than it had been before, "but we probably shouldn't be asking Luke this, he's half-colourblind."

"No it's okay, I saw it too," one of the twins -- James? -- pointed out, "a purple car, up front there."

He pointed up ahead, and Lexon peered through the traffic, before letting out a soft sigh.

"Nope, that's not it. That's a convertible, we were following a minivan. Honestly, what are the odds of there being two purple cars in the area at the same time?"

"It's even the same shade of purple," Lex remarked.

Lexon sighed, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel impatiently as they halted in front of a traffic light.

"Okay, so we lost Matilda. We'll have to call her and ask for the exact location, then. My phone's in my jacket's pocket, Lex, could you take it out and look up her number?"

"Why didn't they just give you the location?" Lex enquired, taking Lexon's phone out of his pocket.

"Because they knew I wouldn't remember it -- and even if I did, I don't have a GPS system in this car."

"Aren't there apps for that?" Luke enquired, tilting his head in curiosity.

The traffic light flashed to green, and Lexon hit the gas pedal, sending the Mercedes spurting forwards.

"Probably, I'm just too lazy to find them," he shrugged, "and you can take my phone out of my pocket, Lex, I promise I won't bite."

"I already did," Lex replied, holding up Lexon's phone to display the black screen, "and it's dead, by the way."

Lexon turned to Lex in surprise, his jaw dropping as he saw his phone in Lex's hands.

"How did you do that?" he exclaimed, "I didn't feel a thing!"

Lex's expression froze for just a split-second, before breaking into a grin.

"I think I just discovered a new talent -- pickpocketing!" he chuckled, "if Lex London ever decides to retire, I can always replace him."

Lexon laughed as he turned his attention back to the road, and the boys in the back sniggered -- all except Levi, who was staring at Lex in awe.

Watch and learn, Levi, watch and learn, Lex thought to himself smugly.

"Anyway, calling Matilda's not going to work," Lex remarked, flipping the phone once before handing it back to Lexon, who stuck it into his pocket, "unless you know her number...?"