Chapter Thirty - Aftermath

Start from the beginning

I just didn't want to let my friend go.

He was the only one who had been able to put up with my grumpiness. He understood my issues and accepted them. He found things to make me laugh. Moonsik was my dearest friend and the closest thing to an actual brother I had known.

I squeezed Moonsik's lifeless body to me one last time, then carefully laid him down on the ground.

I heard the sergeant bark some orders to his men. They quickly came with a blanket or something and wrapped up the body, carrying it to their vehicle.

I couldn't watch. It still felt surreal.

Then I saw Taehyung, hanging on Jimin and sobbing.

I shouldn't have said to him what I did.

I should be thanking him, because I would have either been clawed by Moonsik or shot by the soldiers. Either way, I probably would have died if it hadn't been for his quick thinking.

But right now I couldn't see more than my own wrath and pain.

I would talk to him later. But for now I simply wanted to wallow in my own sadness.

* * *

Narrative

By the time everyone had cleaned up, Moonsik's body was lost among the myriad of labs in H-Corp's main science building. No one would even speak a word of what had happened to him. The sergeant disappeared as well and the rest of the BCU were whisked back to their home country of Korea. It all happened so quickly that no one had a chance to even comprehend what had happened.

Yoongi went into a very dark place for some weeks. Taehyung became timid and jumpy. The two avoided each other like the plague and none of the others knew how to repair the damaged relationship.

Namjoon spent many days and nights trying to formulate a plan to clear the air without hurting either Yoongi or Taehyung more than they already were. But he came up empty-handed.

The void Moonsik left behind was harshly felt. Hoseok began to try and be more bright to help fill the hole but even he was suffering inside.

All of them were.

H-Corp instituted new guidelines and rules. Anyone who shifted fully were to be treated with caution when trying to shift back to their human form. Anyone nearby was fully authorized to shoot to kill if the hybrid in question showed any signs of being feral after the shift.

For a while no one wanted to even shift, but their feline sides began screaming for some freedom and it was agreed a hunt would be held, just two months after the incident involving Moonsik.

At the clearing, everyone was preparing to shift, folding fatigues and stretching out stiff muscles.

Yoongi was the last to arrive at the clearing and everyone fell silent as he approached. He had been scarcely seen the last two months and no one questioned why. They just silently supported him in hopes he would be better soon.

Taehyung immediately began to tremble as Yoongi came into the clearing. He had been terrified of Yoongi since the incident, fearing he would seek revenge on him for Moonsik.

Yoongi stalked right up to Taehyung and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. He looked away and his lips and jaw twitched as he turned back to face his brother.

"I know it wasn't your fault," he said quietly.

Taehyung's tears were unable to be restrained any longer. "I don't regret what I did, hyung."

"I know. You saved my life. If anything, I should be thanking you." Yoongi looked into Taehyung's eyes and the younger man collapsed onto him, hugging him and sobbing.

"I'm sorry we lost our friend, hyung, but I'm so glad you're still with us," he choked out.

Yoongi hugged him loosely, nodding against Taehyung's shoulder and muttering something about Taehyung making this whole thing weird.

Everyone snickered a bit before Namjoon called for attention.

"We will always remember Moonsik, our fallen brother. However, we have to move past this and let it make us stronger and let it firm our resolve to bring about a change we know will need to happen."

He looked at every member pointedly and each nodded their firm agreement with his words.

"Now, lets get to the hunt. I'm starved."

Everyone cheered their agreement and soon seven deadly cats dashed out into the forest, anxious to contribute to the feast they would certainly enjoy together later.