Calm before the storm.

[A/N- DON'T SKIP THIS. If the topic of suicide is a bit too much for you, pls skip some parts or click away.]

Shane raised his glass.

"Here's to hoping the future is a better place for Chara."

"Here, here." Kody sighed.

They all took a sip.

Kody placed his glass down and stared at his blurry reflection.

He looked worn out.

But he didn't care.

He was too absorbed in his own thoughts.

Rin looked the same.

As she stared into the seemingly hypnotic glass of wine in front of her, she wondered if she saved a life, or took one.

Shane felt guilty. He felt like he should've been there too. Maybe if there were three wizards Betty would have not dared go near Chara. But of course... that could just be wishful thinking. He had his duties to attend to. He just wanted to be there for his friends.

Shane pushed away his resentment towards Agate for now. It could wait.

"So what happened after you sent Chara into the future?" Shane asked tentatively.

"Diana collapsed." Kody said blankly.

"And what else, hmm?"

"Adrian gathered his troops and sent them to scour the island." Rin said in a monotone voice. "No Betty to be found."

"Strange thing is... the four of us were pretty sure something was trying to break in the room." Kody added. "We heard someone knocking... no. Banging on it while Rin performed the spell. But we ignored it. It was still pretty loud though. Even the servants heard it."

"After the light faded, it stopped. And when we looked back at the door we barricaded, it was almost destroyed." said Rin.

"We paid for the door so they could replace it... but we couldn't pay for what we took away from them." Kody sighed.

He folded his arms on the table and rested his head on it.

Rin reached her hand out to comfort him but decided against it. He needs some time to think.

Shane sighed when he saw Rin hesitate. Then he made up his mind. "Usually when you have a creature to kill, it's time to stop drinking. Better be sober than drunk."

Rin nodded and Kody gave him a shaky thumbs up.

They all stood up and went to their separate ways so they could rest.

"..."

Mila sighed sadly as she watched them walk away.

She badly wanted to cheer them up. But she feared her presence would only make them pretend they're fine so that she won't be affected. It hurts her to know that they're keeping things from her. She went back to her room to rest as well.

'Will our descendants get to know Chara?' She wondered as she strode back the way she came. 'Guess we won't know...'

------------------------------------------------------

'Poor Amber.'

'I wonder how she's doing in the afterlife...'

That got her thinking.

------------------------------------------------------

"I did it."

Since she couldn't sleep last night, Rin spent the entire time researching, looking for a way to defeat Betty. After 10 hours of flipping through pages, taking notes, drinking strong coffee, and denying the fact that she dozed off for a while, she found what she wanted.