The red book

"You can't get anything creepier than an antique piano."

Sure enough, the long hallway had an organ close to the wall. Kody bet his inheritance that it would start playing by itself.

"What kind of archive has a piano in it?" Rin muttered.

"What if this was an archive of musical sheets?"

"There's no such thing." Rin snorted.

"What if Roy and Ellie led us here to play them a song?" Kody laughed.

Rin rolled her eyes.

Kody walked towards the piano. He blew the dust off and pressed a few keys.

"🎶When I first saw-"

Rin smacked him hard on the head.

"Don't touch anything!" She snapped. "We don't know if these walls have traps, or magic spells, or -"

"Fine! I get it woman." Kody groaned.

"You better." Rin said.

They kept walking down the endless hall. Unlit torches and white mould lined the walls. The place was dank and dark. The only direction they could go was straight ahead. The stairs were far behind them.

They walked onwards nervously. Rin was shivering. There was nothing like taking a swim before you enter a cold cave.

Kody held his Rapier so tight, his knuckles went white. He watched the walls, which was awashed with sky blue and Royal blue light.

'What are we going to find here?' Kody asked himself.

'Trouble, most likely.' replied his mind.

'Great.' he thought.

"Kody, look."

They rushed to it and stopped in their tracks. A smooth, white wall was in front of them.

"Wow. A dead end. Thanks Roy." Kody said blankly.

He was really expecting an archive. Like, a library or something. A wall? Not so much.

"There's writing on it." Rin said.

"Wow. A dead end with writing on it. Thanks Roy." Kody said, still disappointed.

Then Kody was smacked again.

"Rin. Stop it with the smacking. Don't you understand sarcasm?"

Rin scoffed.

"Very funny, Kody."

"There's nothing funny with you smacking me all the time." he complained.

"But... I didn't smack you."

Kody laughed long and hard. Then he saw Rin's face.

"Wait, you're serious?"

"You are hopeless." Rin sighed.

Kody gulped, and suddenly his palms were all sweaty.

"Roy, that was a joke." he said meekly.

'I screwed up. I screwed up. I screwed up.' his mind screamed.

For a moment, he started looking like he was on the verge of a panic attack.

'Kody. Calm down. This is Roy. He won't hurt you.' said his mind.

"So..." he squeaked. "About the writing on the wall..."

He took a look at Rin and was dumbfounded.