Lightvale's heir

They sat in total silence.

Yedyerday's events had been too scarring.

Kody had felt as if there was a cold fist grasping his heart; it took all of his willpower not to ask anyone where the nearest tower was so he could promptly jump off.

Rin felt the same.

Adrian's heart-broken face was still engraved in their minds, crushing their chests with the weight of immeasurable guilt.

His reaction to his wife's death...

Adrian evidently looked heavyhearted, miserable, depressed...

And for a moment, a look of confusion, rage and remorse fleeted across his face.

He heaved a sigh.

Rin and Kody readied themselves for it; the scream, the outburst of fury...

But it never came.

Adrian simply looked at them and thanked them for travelling so far to tell him that in person; it would be quite rude to tell this through a letter.

He had said all that with a sad smile;with no hint of rage.

Rin and Kody were taken aback.

...

Agate was really lucky.

She'd managed to get such a kind young man.

Kody and Rin thought that Adrian didn't deserve the pain... but it seemed that fate never spares anyone from suffering.

Rin stared up at the domed ceiling of the airy main room.

Having just eaten lunch, she should've felt sleepy. However, she didn't eat much.

She set her mind on the small walk that'll take place soon.

Adrian himself will show them around. Kody and Rin tried to decline, saying that they might take up his time and bother him, but he merely said that there isn't a lot for him to do, and that he needed some fresh air himself.

Rin would've gladly went back home, now that they'd finished what they went here for. And a small part of her never wanted to go here and  just leave the people of Delos in the dark. But she couldn't bring herself to do either of the two. She can't leave Adrian and the kid in this miserable state. And she certainly didn't want them to blindly hope Agate would come back one day.

Rin closed her eyes for the fraction of a second, but opened them immediately upon the creak of a door.

Rin swiveled her head towards the sound. The door was slightly ajar, and a girl about Kody's age meekly showed herself.

She looked almost the same as Adrian, but she had her long, dark blue hair tied in a ponytail. She wore a cute sun dress with matching shoes. Her expression was... unsure, doubtful.

As she approached, she trembled a little and looked as if she was contemplating on continuing of chickening out.

"Er, are you... Kody and Rin...?" she asked timidly.

Kody managed a weak smile. "Yep... that's us."

"Oh, uh... Hi! I-I am... Diana Rivera. I... I'm Adrian's sister."

'Obviously. You kinda look like a genderbent Adrian.' Kody thought to himself.

Nevertheless, they stood up and greeted her.

Diana forced a smile and a half-hearted chuckle, her eyes darting around nervously.

"I've heard you've come from... a place v-very far away and that... er... A-anyway... I came here to... uh... I..." she stammered badly.