Chapter 5 : The Impurity that Tainted your Blood - Part 3 - Deadly Life

Yaomomo awoke alone in her dimly lit room to the muffled sound of a clicking noise. She sighed, sitting up. Why do I feel so groggy and disgusting..?

She slid off of the plush mattress of her canopy bed, sliding her bare feet into a pair of slippers. She looked around. My room's an absolute mess... What exactly happened here again? Upon changing into her spare outfit, she found herself standing over her vanity, still trying to recall what happened, when it suddenly hit her.

I'm not sick anymore.

But for some reason, with her mind still foggy with the aftereffects, she couldn't connect that with any solid facts.

Suddenly, there was a rapid series of soft knocks on her door. She picked herself up and strode across her room, opening it to reveal Denki huddled behind it.

"Yaomomo- o-of course, you're well again- um, there's been a- a death," he said, his voice downcast and stricken with grief. For a moment, she just stared blankly at him, her eyes wide. Then she seemed to wilt, her posture slumping, eyes downcast and clouded.

"Another death..?" she muttered, half to herself, her dull silver eyes unshifting as she gazed at the floor while Denki watched on, misty-eyed and slightly offput by her behavior. "Why... does this keep happening?"

Why does it even matter anymore? Why does this game have to keep taking our friends' lives?

Why does it transform everyone into monsters and murderers?

"Um.. Y-Yaomomo..?" Denki broke into her thoughts with his shaky voice. "Do you want to... see the body?"

The body... Another human being, who had been alive and speaking just yesterday, reduced to an empty corpse, never to smile or walk or speak again.

Why should I want to know who it was? Why... why must this go on?

"Okay," was her simple response.

Denki led her outside, down the hallway of the dorms.

A body, hanging from the ceiling by its neck, wires sparkling and coiled around its neck.

A canvas of weeping puncture wounds in its stomach, blood flowing from the magenta holes in a heavy stream of fluid, dripping to the floor.

An empty hole where its left eye once was, a dark pit that sagged at the edges and revealed a mess of torn tissue and bleeding veins, nerves that have been ruptured and leaking liquids. An empty hole crying a river of blood that flowed over its face and down its chin, staining the skin magenta.

An eyeball endorning a vermillion colored iris, covered with blood and mucus, obviously torn out in cold blood and left to rot, speared through with a knife, a knife that lay on the floor below, ringed with blood.

A hanging corpse, horribly damaged and devoid of life...

A corpse who was once a human being, a living entity with feelings and thoughts.

A person, who went by the name of Eijirou Kirishima.

"Wh-what..?" Yaomomo stared at the body in horror. The three members of the Big Three -Mirio, Tamaki, and Nejire- as well as Tsuyu were all huddled below the corpse. Yaomomo noted that the Despair Sickness had, in fact, been cured overnight with the death, since Tamaki, Tsuyu, and herself were all healthy again.

"Another death," Mirio said grimly. "Denki, I'll go get the others, unless you want to..?"

"No, it's fine. I'll... stay by the... body..." Denki's voice trailed off as he stared at the corpse of someone who had once been his friend.