Chapter 4 : Justice Demands of JDs and Tears - Part 6 - Class Trial

"What do you mean, you know who the killer is?" Mezou questioned, turning to fixate his eyes on Shouto, who'd spoken out. "And besides, the last theory you concocted was flat-out wrong."

"Well, this one may not be," Shouto shrugged. "I just remembered something odd about a certain object near Kyouka's body. It's a big clue. Yaomomo, you must recall, right?"

Why push it onto me? Yaomomo complained internally. I guess I'll have to do it... the clue Shouto speaks of... oh, that-

>Select a Truth Bullet!<

...

>Blood pool - Kyouka : I got it!<

"You must mean Kyouka's blood puddle. Fumikage's feather was in it, and I fell in it, right?"

"Remember the details of the feather," Shouto insisted. "If you think it through, it'll become clear."

If I think it through, it's clear..? What am I supposed to learn from a puddle and a feather?

I have to figure this out... for Kyouka's sake. Yes, I'd like to think about it that way.

>Psyche Taxi : Start!<

...

>Question 1: What place in the blood was the feather?
Left: On the surface of the blood
Right: Buried in the blood
Right: Correct!<

...

>Question 2: What was the texture of the blood like at the start of investigation?
Left: Wet and fresh
Right: Sticky and dry
Right: Correct!<

...

>Question 3: When did the feather fall into the blood?
Left: Before investigation
Right: During investigation
Left: Correct!<

>Success!
Question 1: Buried in the blood
Question 2: Sticky and dry
Question 3: Before investigation<

>Break!<

As she put the pieces together in her head, Yaomomo felt a lightbulb in her mind go off like a nuclear bomb, a revelation that was both heart-wrenching and groundbreaking at once. Her chest tightened, as if a knife had been driven into her heart. Why you, of all people..? "Oh... I get it now. It's all coming together... The killer... it really is you..."

>Select someone!<

...

>Fumikage Tokoyami : You're the only one...<

"F-Fumikage... it can't be..." Yaomomo stared at him in distress.

"Hmm?" Fumikage blinked back at her, feigning innocence, although the subtle ruffling of his feathers made it clear that she'd hit the jackpot.

"The feather... we know it's yours, that part is obvious. But since the body discovery, the blood has been dry. If your feather had fallen in the blood during investigation, it would've stuck to the top of the blood. But it's not. The fact the feather is buried in blood makes it clear that it'd fallen in while the blood was fresh," Yaomomo explained, her hands shaking. She was still disbelieving, despite the logical truth her words held.

"So therefore, he was present at Kyouka's body when she'd just died," Tamaki spoke up softly.

"You've got to be the killer, Fumikage. The feather doesn't lie," Shouto said cooly. "And besides, it's not like your alibi says anything in your defense either."