Chapter 2 : True-Red Murder Mystery - Part 3 - Daily Life

"So, what do you think about all this?" Mina suddenly asked in a pause between the constant clanging of Mei's tools.

Yaomomo shuddered. "It's startling, to say the least," she murmured.

The girls were hanging out in the Support Lab to accompany Mei, who was tinkering on some odd thing or another to occupy herself. They talked about random nothings to pass time and explored the Lab in an attempt to grasp a flare of inspiration for an escape. So far, it was to no avail.

"Yeah, it's pretty crazy, isn't it? One day we were taking classes here at U.A., and the next this place is taken over by villains, and then people started dying, all in, like, a week! Life is weird, isn't it?" Tooru was running words out her mouth, her eyes manic and her hair slightly mussed due to her repeatedly running her fingers through it.

"I just lock myself in the Lab," Mei called from her place at a worktable. Looking up, Yaomomo glimpsed an odd, boxy metal contraption before her. The pink haired girl herself didn't even flash a glance to the other girls, though.

"Come on, guys," Tsuyu spoke up. "We can't just give up! We have to stick together! If we all just have a little bit of hope, we'll get out of here."

"I agree!" Nejire said brightly, her voice a little too loud. "You guys were an amazing class, y'know? Working as a team here is essential!"

"You've got a good point," Mina murmured. "We were a great team..."

"Yeah," Kyouka mumbled. "To be honest, though, everything's just so sudden. We were all just thrown into this, then Tenya just... died... and now this. The trial, the execution, it's all so... surreal. I feel like I'm lost in a dream or something, except it's not a dream, and everything is actually reality. It's disorientating, y'know?"

"Hey, Kyouka," Yaomomo leaned over, her voice softening as she attempted to comfort her friend. "I'm confused, too. We're all confused. But we'll figure it out, alright? It'll be fine, I promise. We're going to get out of this mess together. Just stick with us, okay?"

Kyouka stared back at her for a moment before a small smile slipped onto her face. "Yeah. Thanks, Yaomomo."

The girls continued to chatter for a while before Nejire suggested that they take a break. She wanted to train a little in the gym, and Tsuyu and Mina followed her. Tooru went off on her own to find Mashirao, and Yaomomo insisted that Mei also take a break. The two of them and Kyouka headed down to the kitchen to get a cup of tea.

"You know, Kyouka, you're right. Sometimes it all does get a little too surreal," Yaomomo commented as she poured the tea. It wasn't anything special; just green tea with teabags. However, in such complicated times, Yaomomo enjoyed the simplicity of the drink.

"Yeah. Unwinding like this is nice," Mei admitted. "Thank you," she added as Yaomomo gave her a cup.

The three sat in the cafeteria for a while, talking about random subjects to pass the time, when Kyouka suddenly brought up the library.

"Why don't we go down to the library for a while? Maybe read up on some more complex building mechanics and mystery books to make some progress on an escape plan?" the Musician suggested.

"That's actually a great idea!" Mei brightened up. "We do need to hurry up the whole getting-out-of-here thing, since no heroes have been showing up."

The three girls took their drinks along and went down to the library for the rest of the afternoon.

***

"Too slow," Mashirao huffed as he dodged Hitoshi's lunge and stuck out a leg to trip him. Losing his balance, Hitoshi yelped as he collapsed on the ground, face-down, with Mashirao looming above him.