Les fichiers perdus. I was cold

Ten years ago

Zachary Giovanni Manning

Status: Unstable

Admittance: 3:27 am

Cause of Admittance: A danger to self, others

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1 disorder, psychosis

Duration: Unknown

"Is this all we have on him?" Doctor Kelvin Yates, a psychiatrist over at Belle Reeve Psychiatric Hospital, asked his colleague, Melanie Ta.

She nodded, flipping through the short file. "For now, yes. More should be faxed over by morning". They watched the young boy through the small window. "Apparently, this isn't his first incident. Not even close".

Doctor Yates looked on curiously at the boy who was boredly scoping out the completely white room, looking slightly agitated with his restraints.

"What exactly did he do?" The file didn't say.

"He tried to kill his parents". Doctor Ta shakes her head in disbelief. She couldn't see someone seemingly so innocent doing something so vile. Then again, looks can be deceiving. "He set his house on fire. They were sleeping".

Doctor Yates' eyes widen in shock. "Are they alright?"

"I don't know the severity," she says, sullen. "But they're both in the hospital as we speak".

He takes a deep breath and twists the knob. "Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be," she replies, walking in first when he opens the door.

Zachary's head snaps to the door, squinting curiously at the two doctors that came in.

For a moment, they just stood there. Partially because they were slightly afraid and also because they'd much rather be literally anywhere else.

The young teen smirked, amusement dancing in his features. "I don't bite". He was sat criss-cross on a twin sized bed on the opposite end of the room.

Doctor Ta steps forward first, fiddling with the red file in her grasp. "Hello Zachary," she introduces herself. "My name is Doctor Ta. This is my colleague, Doctor Yates".

"I'd shake your hand, but..." Zachary gestures to his strait jacket. "Y'know".

"Right. Well," Doctor Yates clears his throat and pulls up two chairs, gesturing for Doctor Ta to take one. "We just want to ask you a few questions".

Zachary cocks his head to the side. "Why?"

"Just to break the ice. Get a bit more understanding on the situation".

"The situation?" Zachary raises a brow. "Tell me, Kelvin. Do you always beat around the bush?"

Doctor Yates shifts uncomfortably in his chair. "I don't recall telling you my first name".

"I guess you don't recall wearing a name tag either".

"We're getting off track here," Doctor Ta cuts in.

"I agree," her colleague nods. "We need you to tell us what happened, Zachary. Exactly as you remember it".

"Isn't that what your little file is for? A bit redundant, don't you think Doc?" Zachary's smile widened as he saw the man's eye twitch in irritation.

"Please stop," Doctor Ta said sternly.  "Your file tells us next to nothing," she admits in a softer tone. "Which is why we were hoping you'd help us fill in the blanks".