XVII. There's no way

Nadia has been ignoring Elijah.

He'd call and she won't answer. He'd text and she would leave him on read. He'd come over and she would conveniently be at school, at work, or at the hospital with Rebecca and Adrian.

Her cell phone vibrated in her pocket, bringing her from her thoughts. Nadia had no doubt in her mind that it was Elijah. She checked just to make sure and proved herself right.

Nadia let it ring until it cut off then proceeded to go to her contacts and hesitated for a mere moment before just blocking his number all together.

"...physical therapy to help you get used to a prosthetic". She tuned in just in time to hear the tail end of Adrian's conversation with his doctor.

Adrian nodded, tugging at a loose piece of thread in his hospital gown.

He didn't talk much.

Not anymore.

"How soon does that start?" Adrian and Rebecca's mother, Quinn, asked from beside him.

The man turned to her with a comforting smile. "The timing all depends on how quickly his residual limb fully heals from the surgery. Some individuals receive a temporary prosthesis immediately following amputation or within two to three weeks after surgery". He pushed up his sliding glasses. "Usually, a prosthetic fitting begins two to six months after surgery. This will be when the surgical incision has healed, the swelling has gone down, and his physical condition improves".

Adrian murmured in a low tone that they all strained to hear. "And, now? How does my — my leg look?" Adrian finally made eye contact with his doctor, Kenneth Gutierrez. He hated the look of pity they all gave him. Sometimes he found himself wishing the accident took more than just his leg.

"Your healing seems to be right on track. I'd say another week before you can get a temporary prosthetic".

They all turned their heads when the door opened. Their father, Vincent, walked in with two trays of coffee. He shut the door behind him with his foot and bashfully shuffled into the room. Vincent passed off each order of coffee to their respective people, receiving a small nod of appreciation in return. "What'd I miss?" The question was directed toward Doctor Gutierrez, but surprisingly Adrian was the one to answer.

"Doc says it's maybe one more week before I get a temp". His voice was barely above a whisper, but seeing as this is the most they've heard him say in a while, their grins were wide.

"Well, that's good news. Isn't it, son?" Vincent's eyes lit up at the news, a smile breaking out on his face.

Adrian gave a tiny, forced smile in return. "Sure".

Nadia's cell phone vibrated loudly on the chair, breaking the slightly tense atmosphere. She felt her face heat up in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry". She stood up and exited the room.

It was an unknown number.

Fear suddenly struck her at the thought that it might be Elijah calling with some new phone. Nadia let it ring, not sure if she should just go ahead and answer it. Right before she almost accepted the call, the vibrating stopped, making the decision for her. She released a breath she didn't even realize she was holding.