XIII. He has a key*

*Warning: sexual content.

Adrian

Call me when you can! We haven't had a proper conversation since you left aha. X.

Delivered: 2:02 am

Elijah

Thanks for the present. I got one for you, too. See you when you get back?

Delivered: 2:05 am

"Am I boring you, darling?" Nadia's mother, Johanna, asked as she watched her daughter take a look at her phone screen for the umpteenth time.

"Hm?" Nadia hummed distractedly. She looks up at her mum's amused expression, blushing in embarrassment as she murmured am apology under her breath.

Nadia put away the phone in the clutch tucked under her arm. "Your phone's been getting your attention all night. Anyone in particular that i should know about?" Johanna inquired.

"No. I'm just a little tired of the party scene s'all," she trailed off with a shrug. Her mother gave her a look. "I'm serious. I've been thinking of heading back to the hotel, call it a night". Nadia went the extra mile and faked a yawn. "Besides, I have a flight to catch tomorrow".

"Yeah. In the evening". A waitress walked by with a tray of champagne and offered it to them, to which they politely declined. Johanna turned to her daughter, "you're right, I'm not in the mood to party either. Want to get a bite to eat before you go back?"

"Sure, why not?" The two ladies walked back inside the still lively building and made their way down to the slowly emptying street. "What's even open around this time?"

"McDonald's".

"I'd rather starve".

Johanna smiled. "Joe's Pizza?"

Nadia hummed in agreement. "Much better".

In a comfortable silence, the mother-daughter duo walked down the surprisingly quiet streets of New York, elbows locked together. Not long after, they made it to the small restaurant and sat down in an empty booth across from one another. Nadia ordered two slices of cheese pizza while her mother ordered pepperoni.

As they waited for their order to arrive, Johanna decided to bring up the topic from earlier. "So," she said, catching her daughter's attention. "Boyfriend troubles?"

She shrugged. "Kind of," Nadia then shook her head, back tracking. "Not really, I don't want to call it that because it's so stupid. We fight over the dumbest shi — stuff, and it's honestly so tiring. One minute, we're good. Great even. And, then...I don't know". She did know, but that was a conversation to be had between the two people in question, not her and her mother. "It all kind of turns to shi— crap".

"But?" Johanna offered, not minding the mini slip up. Her daughter never liked cursing around her, she once said it made her feel uncomfortable. Nadia seemed to have a lot to say, and she was more than willing to listen.

"But," Nadia started, pausing when a waiter came and placed their food on the table. The two thanked him before he walked away. Nadia was quick to pick up a slice and take a bite in attempt to delay the conversation. She needed to collect her thoughts first, figure out what to say and how.

Johanna picked up a slice, too. "C'mon," she urged before taking her own bite, "now you've got me curious".

"It's just — I don't know. He makes me happy, like really happy. And, yeah we fight, but what couple doesn't? He's amazing in pretty much every sense of the word, and I'm just— "