XIV. I want Skittles

"Jesus Christ. You sleep like the dead".

That was the first thing Nadia heard when she woke up. She almost felt tempted to keep her eyes closed and pretend to not have woken up at all.

But, instead she settled for snuggling further into the bed sheets as she said: "i happen to value my sleep very much, thank you".

Elijah looked on at her in disbelief. "So, you were awake this entire time?"

"No. I just woke up". Nadia sat up on the bed, letting out a yawn before she spoke again. "What d'you want? Why're you being annoying this early in the morning?"

"It's afternoon," he said as he sat beside her.

She noticed then that he was fully dressed. "Where are you going?"

"Actually," he corrected, "it's where are we going". Standing back up again, Elijah walked over to her dresser and began pulling out some clothes for her. "It's a rare occasion".

"Which is?" Nadia urged.

He dropped her outfit on the bed. "One where neither of us have to go to work, or in your case, school as well. We're both free, so why not make a day out of it?" Elijah looked at the time on his watch. "Well, what's left of it, anyway".

"I don't feel like it," she said before falling back on the bed, burying herself back into the comforter.

Elijah blinked. "Serious?"

"Yes, I'm freaking serious," Nadia grumbled, curling into a fetal position. "My ovaries are punishing me right now and the only thing on my mind at this moment is finding a position that doesn't make me want to die".

Her monthly friend decided to visit her two days earlier than expected. It was slightly unusual considering she took the pill, which supposedly guaranteed her cycle would come every twenty-four days, on the dot.

Right in the middle of the night, she awoke to horrid cramps that got stronger as time passed, thus marking the beginning of the longest four days of every month.

"Oh — oh ". Elijah looked uncomfortable for a moment, shifting from one foot to the other. "Do you — uh, d'you need an Advil or summat?" He asked, scratching the back of his head.

She made a noise of disagreement under the comforters. "I don't like taking medication for that. I'd rather tough it out". Nadia groaned, "but, times like this I'm honestly so tempted to swallow the whole damn bottle".

He went back over to Nadia, awkwardly patting what he thought to be her head in sympathy.

"Don't touch me, please".

Slowly retracting his hand, he stared blankly at the pair of clothes he already brought out for her that were dangling off the edge of the bed.

A brief moment of silence passed over the room; it wasn't uncomfortable, but actually nice in a way.

If he didn't know any better, Elijah would have thought Nadia fell back asleep. But, with the constant shifting she'd do every few minutes, he knew otherwise.

"So," Elijah drummed his fingers against his thighs rapidly. "On a scale of one to ten, how much would you say it hurts?" He asked as he glanced back at his watch. Nadia stayed quiet. "Y'know, 'cause I've gotten cramps one time from eating too many hot wings in one sitting".

Still, Nadia didn't respond.

Shrugging as he thought back to that day, "didn't hurt that much if i remember correctly". Elijah laid back, accidentally bumping against her stomach in the process. Nadia yelped in surprise, angrily mumbling a slew of curse words towards him, none of which he thankfully couldn't clearly decipher. "Sorry".