Chapter 12

"Please, just come over I wanna make it up from last night." Vivian told me over the phone, as desperate as her voice rang out I considered against it with the idea of what'd she consider making it up. Even if a part of me lusted after her, my morals told me to suppress the urge.

"I'll come, but you don't need to make anything up. I understand." I agreed, she asked me to go over to her house because she felt like she screwed up last night, also she said she had a "surprise" for me. Somewhere around twenty minutes later I crossed the street to her house. But not before putting a bit of cologne on. As I was about to knock I heard her laughter, my knuckles, that were still bruised from the other night, tapped her door.

The sound of footsteps echoed, then the door swung open, to Aaron. Well her laughing is now clear, why she was at least. "Why are you here?" A slight anger and disbelief trailed in his voice.

"Vivian invited me," I couldn't help but feel some joy, those words were only ever an idea to me.

"Yeah, right. I'll just skip the sarcastic remark and to the point, why are you here?" He must've despised me, every rumor made him out to be a kind and tolerant person. I only knew him as a bit of a jerk.

"We're almost kinda dating." I explained, he laughed at me a little. "We went out last night."

"I don't think she'd cheat on me. Vivian, please come over here." What was he talking about, they were only friends or that's what she said.

While I was thinking she walked up from where ever she was. He placed his arm around her delicate shoulders, "Hi, Shawn." Her arms tucked around my waist and tightened, all my tissues did the same out of surprise.

Aaron's POV-

"He's trying to convince me that you're dating." I laughed, Vivian looked at him, then at me, then back to him. Trying my best to fake it, I yanked her back against my chest.

"Aaron actu-" I wouldn't let her finish, I didn't care what it was. Aussuming there was one way to get him to leave, I did it. I kissed my best friend for the second time, when I pulled away they both looked at me stunned. Shawn just walked away, I slammed the door behind him only caring about keeping her safe. "What the hell was that?" She shoved me away as best she could in her sudden fit of understandable anger.

"He said you invited him over, and that you went out last night." I explained brushing my thumb over her hand.

She pushed her palms to her face. "We did, but-t I ruined so I invited him over to apologize." I looked across the street. "And now he's upset because he thinks you and I are together, so if you'll excuse me I'm going to go apologize my ass off."

"I'd feel bad if he wasn't such an asshole." I told her, my voice apathetic and my throat dry.

"He isn't that bad of a person if you really talk to him." She sighed, then stormed upstairs to her room. I heard the door slam and her music starting to blast, which hid the faint mumble of her anger.

I ran up to her room the door was locked, "Vivian I'm sorry," I pounded on the door until I felt the sides of my fists start to bruise, "Please let me in."

"I'm only letting you in because you won't go away, and you're my only friend." She unlocked the door. I then realized why, she'd locked me out in the first place; not many people wanted to enter her life so a friend must've seemed hard to come by and I might've just ruined her chance at another person who cared about her. After curling up on the bed, she explained all of what happened last night. Afterwards she picked up the damaged picture frame from under her pillow, then told me there was something written on the back of the photo itself but could barely bring herself to say it.

"I know this might upset you, but I really don't want you around him. He's the reason you almost died, you get it right?" I explained to her, my eyes barely met her's.

"He's half, and you're the other. Remeber, Ian asked if I was cheating on him with either of you." She sighed, "You'll be moving soon and I'll need someone." She was right, I'll been in another state and she'd be alone but couldn't some else be there for her, I was worried he'd take advantage of her. When I told her that she shook her head in disagreement saying something made her think otherwise. It didn't matter what I said, I'd have no control over it, not that I have any now either. Nearly, she got up to go apologize to him but I held my hand up to stop her. She looked me and mouthed 'I have to.'

-Shawn's POV

Why did I believe it? Obviously she told me that'd she'd go out with me then purposely make it end badly so I'd leave her alone. She lied to me, and I saved her life. Worst of all she wanted to stay out with me. I knew it was too good to be true. She had asked me to come over just to make it up for last night,' only so she could show me she couldn't care less about me or how I feel.

But that didn't seem like her. She seemed too broken to manipulate me like that.

Still, I couldn't be sure if I felt more angry or cheated. Mumbling curse words under my breath I stomped up the steps and slammed my bedroom door. God, I loved and hated her at the time. It might seem strange to be say that I love her now but ever since I came here in seventh grade, the first time I layed eyes on her, she was everything I felt like I needed.

"Shawn, are you okay?" My little sister, Aaliyah, asked knocking on the halfway shut door.

"Huh? Yeah I'm fine." I breathed in deeply, lifting my head out of the pillow.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure." I sighed, she was going to come in anyways might as well not put up a fight, I didn't have the energy.

She walked in and sat down on my bed next to me. "What's wrong?"

I had an absence for words, how do I answer this to her? Oh I was thrown off to the side by a girl, and it kind of hurts. I couldn't say that I've pretend like nothings wrong for to long to let this break my reputation "Just teenager stuff."

"Does it have anything to do with the girl that was here a few nights ago?" She looked up at me.

"How'd you know about that?" I looked at her stunned.

"I saw her sleeping with you. What's her name?"

"Don't tell mom and dad that, but her name is Vivian, and yeah, she is what's wrong." I answer looking out the window. "It's hard to explain, and I don't even think I can."

A thud rattled against the front door. I knew Vivian stood on the other side, at least she didn't try to call endlessly. "I'll get it." She told me getting up. Maybe Vivian did care. I wanted to believe that she did. If she did, I had a chance right? I the real me had a reason to stay.