Chapter 39

Before the car starts up, Shawn slips out of the back. He opens the door and kisses my lips, at a mention of what he's doing he answers: My mom want's me home, I told her I spent the night at Matt's.

"So I guess it's just us." I shrug, then yell out to Shawn. "Goodbye." After we drive a few blocks, we reach one of the main streets. That's when I turned to Matt to ask what the real reason was for me coming along.

He glances at me and smirks, "You'll see." The car pulls into a lot of a complex a few miles from town. "This is one of the closest buildings that allow dogs." He smiles and sits high, proud of himself.

I laugh at him a bit, though I know why he wants the factor of dogs being allowed. It still confuses me as to why he needs me to like his apartment.

We take an elevator up to the third floor to the flat he's dragged me to. After walking down a long hall, an open door marks where we'd be for the next forty five minutes.

"Aren't you two a little young to live together?" The realtor asks as we're walking out.

Both Matt and I look awkwardly. "Well, I suppose."

"I know I wouldn't let my daughter move in with her boyfriend."

"Sir, that's my cousin." Matt says, I press my face to my palm. We walk out, laughing but at the same time phased a bit. He pulls out of the lot, eagerly taking me to three more apartments. "None of those have enough space," he groans, childishly, "There needs to be at least two bedrooms."

"Why do you need more than one?" I ask, he slips his car into a slot of the building Cameron and Nash live in.

My question isn't answered until we reach the elevators. Even as the doors close he's hesitant, "I won't say I want room for the guys to spend the night, because it's not true. The truth is, I know at home you're treated like you don't exist, legally you can live at my house but we don't have the room. On my eighteenth birthday in a few months, I can buy a place of my own, you need to live somewhere that you're actually remembered and cared about. I thought maybe you could live with me, I want you to see what it's like to have people care about you. What do you think? Move in with me?"

I don't say anything, just fling my arms around him then let tears of joy rain down my cheeks. For the first time, in practically my entire life, I'd have a place: a roof over my head, under which I was acknowledged.

The elevator opens as my shoulders shake, Matt chuckles at me, "So I'll take that as a yes?"

When confirm it, I slip in that he's the best cousin ever. Though our feet our heading towards Cameron's apartment he speaks of our's needing be close so I can see Shawn without having to being in the car for very long.

Waking up for school the next morning, I ready myself excitedly as I plan to tell Shawn on the car ride to school. By twenty minutes past seven, I walk out to a grey sky that can't make my mood sour. The brunet boy I love stands leaning against his truck, and he has that grin that makes me weak. My feet pick up and move me faster, from my throat cheerful sounds erupt. Shawn looks down happily like he's thinking, Why do I love this girl so much? When I finally reach the tall boy he questions what has me in this mood.

"I get to move in with Matthew, that's why he wanted me to go with him yesterday." I almost yell as I jump up and down.

Shawn's cheeks brighten, he pulls me in tight. After we get in the car he rambles on about how happy he is for me, he sounds as excited as I am, if not more. Suddenly, he breathes really heavily then whispers, "That's amazing, sweetheart. You'll get attention, there." Then sits there smiling at dashboard.

I lean back in the beat up leather chair, while I smile-and almost bawl-at how much he's displaying he cares about me. Only a few other people care this much, I haven't yet become I accustomed to this all.

In our first hour algebra class, while we're supposed to be doing partner work, Shawn remains on the topic of how good this will be for me-even adding things like distance not mattering as long as my mental health improves. Little does he know, he already faded many of the scars.

Weeks later, I sit in the corner of my room sipping a a coffee, I think it's my tenth, I lost track. Either way, the caffeine stopped affecting me, but I need to study. I have finals in two days, I'm almost done. I'll stop in twenty minutes, I lie to myself. My phone goes off, breaking my concentration. Without even looking at the ID, I snap in to the speaker. "Why are you interrupting me? I need to pass my exams." 

"Because it's almost three in the morning, and your light is still on." Shawn soothes, there's a break with a bit of rustling. "Anyways, Vivian you're going to pass. One your super smart, two you've been studying for weeks. I think you've prepared enough, so put down the coffee and go to bed, you know you'll do better if you get some sleep."

"But I-"

"No buts, pour out the coffee and go to bed." He practically, angrily demands. "I'll know if you don't, I can see your light on and I won't hang up 'til you go to bed."

"Fine." I groan, then toss the beverage out after shutting my text book. Forgetting to change, I flop down on my bed. My hand lazily quests the switch on the lamp. "Night."

After convincing me I don't need to study anymore, Shawn joins my future housemate and I in looking for a flat. He smiles and pulls me aside, then starts explaining how he's fantasizing this being the just two of us. Looking for our first home.

Ughhh. I know this chapter sucks. I apologize, it was basically to get the part about Matt and Vivian living together.

Anyway, how are you guys?

And Stitches came on the radio!!!!!!!!!

-love y'all