Never You

A lot went on after the ride to the hospital. The doctor and nurses ran exhaustive tests to try to pinpoint the origin of the problem. However, the information Harry and I were receiving was minimal, which had us both on edge. 

   After hours of insecurity, waiting, and crying, they decided that while the lab results came back, that a sonogram and a pelvic exam were in order.

   "Well, from what I can tell, your cervix never opened up and you haven't expelled any actual tissue," the doctor told me during the exam. "But the sonogram will let us see what's actually going on in there."

   As he prepared the machinery, Harry looked down at me and smiled. I tried to stay as positive as he was, but I'd felt the pain. I wasn't so sure the baby had survived it. 

   The doctor took no time to perform the sonogram. He was actually rougher than I would've liked. 

   When I realized that he wasn't letting up, I had to ask. "What're you looking for, exactly?"

   "A heartbeat," he replied coldly. 

   My eyes met Harry's. I knew that he wasn't going to find one. 

   Until he did. 

   The sound was by far the most perfect thing I had ever heard. It was steady and strong. It brought tears to my eyes instantly. 

   I could breathe again. 

   "There it is," the doctor said, finally looking me in the eyes. His smile was stiff, but it was there. "Sounds pretty good."

   Harry's laugh mixed in perfectly with the sound of our baby's heartbeat. And I realized that I had been wrong. I'd never hear anything as perfect as those two sounds mixed together again. Looking at him, I noticed that he was crying, too.

   After holding each other for heaven knows how long, receiving the lab results, and instructions from the doctor, we were able to head off home. 

   "So what was it?" Zayn asked, his eyes wide. Clearly, nobody had told him what had happened earlier. His wife Riley was just as shocked. 

   Harry swallowed the mouthful of food on his plate before answering. "A threatened miscarriage."

   Louis put his silverware down a moment. "And what does that mean?"

   "That Hazel's going to have to take it easy or she'll might just have an actual miscarriage," Riley answered, pushing her empty plate away from her. 

   I could feel everybody's concern as if it were a giant bubble of worry right at the center of the room. 

   "It's fine, really. It was just a little scare," I said nervously, setting my plate aside as well. I hadn't finished all of my food, but I wasn't too hungry anymore, either. The day's events were a lot to take in. "Thank you for dinner. I'm just so tired. Is it alright if I excuse myself?"

   "Of course," Liam replied, smiling. I could see the concern in his eyes. 

   "Thank you."

   I stood from my seat and reached for my plate. Harry stood up with me and took it before I could. "I've got it."

   I nodded. "Thanks."

   He leaned forward and kissed the top of my head before heading off to the kitchen. I took the moment to make a break for the bedroom, saying goodnight to everybody else, who sat immobile at the table.