Part Six

"Children, in here your powers don't work in here." Dr. Ice starts. I know he is lying because he just thought that we would try to escape in here because the defenses on the other side of the next door are all but existent, as well as in this room. "Edan, come here." Edan comes through the other door. "I think you guys are ready for your first mission, The Pentagon." He expects us to be happy about this, and we are. Only because we get to go outside for the first time in a month.

Before we leave, we need to change our look. My strawberry blond hair has grown out and is past my shorts. I guess fast healing makes your hair grow longer faster. I go for the rebel half shaved and the tips dyed blue. With my hair like this, no one will recognize me! But for Dr. Ice, this isn't enough. We get colored eye contacts. Mine eyes become light green. When I see Kat, she looks different with her hair in an unstyled faux hawk and her eyes are a deep sea blue, different from her brilliant brown eyes. Just then Zen walks in. His hair has been bleached and dyed blond which is more natural for him. His eyes are hazel now instead of his sea green. Man, I miss those green eyes of his.

"Edan will be going with you, but will be keeping his distance." Dr. Ice says towards Edan. Edan is looking at me, of all people. Does he know I can read minds? I read his mind and he says that he really doesn't want to go, he just wants to talk to someone his age. As if he knows that I am reading his mind, he leaves so that Dr. Ice can explain the mission.

"First, you will need to fly over there, carrying Edan." Dr. Ices started.

"Dibs!" Kat yells, interrupting him. I laugh quietly.

"OK," Dr. Ice says forcefully. We let him continue. "You will land by the KFC, a small distance away from the Pentagon and walk the rest of the way there. You will go as a tourist group, here are your tickets, do not lose them." He hands us each a ticket, and Kat two, one for her and one for Edan. They have been spending a lot of time together. I try my best to stay out of her head.

We go outside. It is brighter than I remember, then again it has been a month. Man, I've missed this. Zen reaches to take my hand. I take it. We have become closer over the past couple of months. We watch Kat struggle and laugh to ourselves. Kat has Edan on her back and is struggling to lift him. Then she lifts off the ground and into the sky. She stays there until Zen joins her carrying a backpack full of money. I put my backpack, also full of money on. We fly up. I notice that we were in the abandoned manor on the way to school. Wow, I could go home now. NO! We need to finish our revised plan.

We fly. Soaring through the air without a care. Zen stays close to me and we fly together. We head to Washington. Ever since the bomb dropped in 2020, 25 years ago, the United States has never been the same. When we get to KFC, we go in to get some food. Zen pulls $40 out of his pocket. We sit and eat our food. Then we ditch Edan in the bathroom.