Part One

"Wake up Josie! Hurry you are going to be late!" My mom yells up the stairs. I really don't want to. I roll over and look at my clock. 6:00 a.m. Why so early? I ask myself. I get up and do my morning schedule. 30 minutes later, I am on my way to The Spot. The Spot is a place where my friends and I first met on our way to school. We live a few houses away from each other, but is a very long distance, because of the house sizes we have: Mansions.

When I get there, Zen is waiting, as he normally does. His stormy green eyes reveal nothing about who he is. His black hair is slicked back as usual with lots of gel.

"Hey Zen," I call towards him. He nods in acknowledgment. We wait for Kat. She is always late. We wait for a few minutes in silence. We see Kat running towards us, auburn hair billowing behind her, brown eyes focused on her goal.

"Taking your time I see, you are almost 10 minutes late!" I exclaim. I feel my purple eyes focusing in on what she is wearing. "Really? A crop top and shorty shorts? You are going to be dress coded again!"

She waits for me to stop talking and then calmly states, "Well they were the only clothes I had left after the mess of an 18th birthday party we had on Friday." I remember our party, the fun we had and how crazy we had gotten. We all had the same birthday so we all celebrated it together. Her parents had told her, whatever the mess we made, she would have to clean it. So that is what she was doing on Sunday. I tell myself. I should have helped her. Stupid brain. Why was I so forgetful?

We walk to school. We tell each other about our favorite part of our party. As we get closer to the school, we see more and more people on the streets. They know to keep their distance from us. The poor live on the streets, not able to pay for any form of living space, even though there is an abandoned manor here that no one uses. Man am I glad that my parents are rich. I don't know how they survive on these streets. Just then, a man walks up to us. The other peasants try to stop him. They only succeed in slowing him down. When he approaches us, we have seen him and I wonder, What the heck is wrong with you!!! Don't you know your place, street rat? Even though he is alone, I get the feeling that he isn't, and it sends a chill down my spine.

"Hello, kids!" The man says cheerfully. We look at him like he is a crazy man. He continues, ignoring our obvious expressions, "On your way to school I presume? Of course, you are!" Creep! Go away! "Anyways, I was wondering... Well, never mind. My name is Mr. Jonathan Jafar Ice," I see him eyeing our backpacks where our private information is stored. I move to cover my information, and the others seem not to notice. "I... um... well bye, kids!!" And with that, he disappears into the people surrounding us.