Mute Pt. 1 | Lee Midam

Lee Midam

I was never really good at talking about my feelings or what I think about. I mean, I rarely ever talk. But writing though, pouring your heart out in a notebook, it's different, it's much more better than talking. But I do talk when I need to. Just not like the average talking of a human.

God, sometimes I talk like a girl.

I was sitting in my balcony, at my chair with my small desk in front of me. The French doors were opened giving a view to my room, the crème curtains on the doors were flowing because of the soft wind.

I opened my leather bound journal and started to write.

Dear Noona,

Some people are moving to the house beside us now, surprising really, cause' the house beside us does not get taken, this is the rich neighborhood part in town after all. I wonder who are those people, what they're like. They must have some sort of successful business to afford a house like ours, we are the only family that has this kind of house.... Well not anymore. Oh Dear Lord, I pray that our neighbors are alright.

I'll continue later.

Mother was ecstatic that we had new neighbors today, considering that our other neighbors were snobby, judgemental and all that cliché things, she hopes that the ones moving beside us were 'normal' and humble.

Normal like us? Huh. *scoffs mentally*

My eyes searched the driveway of my family's new neighbors. There were four cars parked: a shiny black 2007 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 coupe, matte black 1964 Ferrari 250LM sports racer, a white 1932 Bugatti Type 55 Roadster, and the last one was a, wait a minute - No way! A freaking matte red 2004 Ferrari Enzo coupe.

It seemed that no one occupied the cars, so they are probably inside already. The moving truck and the movers were already unloading their stuff carefully, seeing that most of their stuff are fragile and expensive, there were no furniture, it was already inside the house since I saw it being moved last week.

I looked at their cars again.

Man their rides are so sweet. I stared at their cars, admiring the sight before me. They surely know their cars. That 2004 Ferrari Enzo coupe costs over one million dollars, the others are worth probably $ 300,000 more or less.

Little footsteps thudded on the wooden floor inside my room. "Midam Hyung! Did you the cars of our new neighbors? Dude, so awesome!" My 9 year old brother, Lucas exclaimed, excitement filling his face, eyes bright.

I smiled at him and nodded, his smile faltered a bit, he looked hopeful as if I knew I would speak more because me and him loved to talk about cars. Loved. If only that incident didn't happen we would all be a happy family.

I rarely talk to my parents, only once in a blue moon, I try to do it often though, to my Lucas and my 4 year old little sister, Every. But most of the time when I do talk to my siblings I try make it short.

Lucas stood at the entrance of my balcony looking sad, I sighed, thinking of a way to cheer him up. An idea came to my head immediately.

I'll do it. I always do.

I cleared my throat, "Lucas..." His eyes snapped up and looked at me, smiling so wide. "Come here." I smiled and gestured him to come to sit on my lap.

"You did it!" He yelled, laughing. He ran towards me and hugged me so hard.

I laughed along with him, I adjusted him on my lap so that we would get a good view.

"Which one do you like the most Luca?"

"That red Ferrari. It looks so awesome."

I chuckled. He sure does know how to pick the most expensive ones even if he doesn't know.

"That's a 2004 Ferrari Enzo coupe, it was once owned by a member of a middle Eastern Royal family. It costs more than $ 1, 000, 000 dollars." I told him.

He looked up to me with interest. "Whoa.. Can we see the cars up close? Please." He breathed out.

"Later maybe, when mother welcomes our new neighbors, why don't you ask her? Maybe she would approve." I suggested to him.

"Okay!" He nodded eagerly. He jumped out of my lap out of my room and ran downstairs, his little footsteps thudding.

I went inside my room, closing my French doors.

A faint click sounded next door. I froze on my spot with my hand on the door knob and snapped my head to the up, seeing a girl? She was standing there in her balcony like mine but her French doors wide open giving me view to her room but I was too interested looking at her. My eyes scanned over her body. Her clothes were all black; black high-waisted skinnies, black leather jacket, black cropped top, and black combat boots. She had milky white skin, heart shaped face, cute nose, black wavy hair, and pink plump lips that looked so kissable. And her eyes, her crystal blue eyes, that left me breathless.

She was beautiful.

She looked around the balcony, not noticing me. Well, I am in my room facing my closed French doors with the curtains opened. Her head looked up to our house before finding my balcony, and me. Her eyes connected with mine, I looked away, blushing because she caught me looking at her. I sheepishly sent her a smile and waved at her. She smiled back, her pearly whites on show and waved back adorably.

Get your head out of the clouds, Midam! What are you thinking?!

"Wait a minute." She mouthed at me. She went back inside her room and got back with a marker and bond papers. Confused I opened the doors and stepped in my balcony again and went towards my table that had my markers and pens and papers.

She wrote something on her paper and showed me.

"Hi." It said. Furrowing my eyes, why isn't she taking? We're only like 3 meters apart. I thought normal people would.

I wrote my reply and held it up. "Hello. What's your name neighbor?"

"Y/n, yours?"

"Y/n." I whispered. Testing it. "Y/n."

Snap out of it Midam! Gosh.

"Midam, Why don't we talk?" I asked her. She seemed to be a little bit sad. She replied back.

"I can't talk."

"What do you mean?" I spoke, using my voice, putting my marker and papers down.

She wrote again in her papers. Hesitantly she raised the paper.

"I'm mute."