Short Story Honorable Mention-katherinetailor

katherinetailor- When The Stars Dance 

Title: 4/5

The title is aesthetically pleasing, but it does sound more like a poetry book than a collection of short stories and somehow the title doesn't connect to the short story, there's no justification explaining the title either.

Description/Blurb: 6/10

The description serves the purpose of letting the reader know that the book is filled with short stories, it definitely creates curiosity as to read the type of stories in the book, but there's actually no catchy one liner or epigraph that makes the reader want to dive in.

Cover: 3/5

The cover is very basic. The author has tried to make it aesthetically pleasing and tried to follow through with her matching set of covers, but the covers inside the story look better than the original one and the cover itself has no relevance to the title or any of the short stories inside.

Plot: 16.5/20

The plot wasn't too original, but the storytelling was and it did contain cliché of sorts, but the chemistry worked out quite well and created awareness on suicide and cheating.

Characterization: 16/20

The characters were three dimensional, with real struggles and real conversations, reactions mimicked perfectly of human nature, but in some parts, it felt unrealistic and that was due to how the author chose to narrate those parts. The characters also didn't come fully alive in my head, a little more work on them and it will be fantastic.

Creativity/Originality: 7.5/10

The author was creative in weaving the story together and certainly brought out original elements and real conversations, but having said that, there were still parts where I felt that the author could improve in terms of narration, despite portraying common themes.

Spelling and Grammar: 15/15

The grammar was perfect, punctuation was on point and vocabulary and spelling were all good, no complaints.

Enjoyability: 3/5

I enjoyed reading the story, but it isn't a story that I will carry with me, despite having quite an original plot idea, the execution could have been better and the narration could have been more engaging.

Literary Devices: 2.5/5

The diction was fine; there were no uses of metaphors or similes or any poetic devices for the matter, I couldn't completely imagine the surroundings either.

Description: 3/5

Use of description and emotion could have been stronger. The author's idea wasn't fully put into her writing, a little editing might enhance the story.

Total: 76.5/100