One Shot 1st Place Winner-JadedElegance

JadedElegance - Winter's Nocturne

Title 5/5
The title is original and unique. It catches my eye, makes me wonder what this story is about. It’s something different to be honest. I’ve never seen a story name created in such a colorful way. The words are just perfect.

Description/Blurb 10/10

The blurb is colorfully filled with an image of what to expect from the collection. There are even little hints of what is actually inside the collection.

Cover 5/5

I’d pick the book up and I think it corresponds with the story. Most stories now a days have photographs, but this is a painting and that’s pretty much what the author does, paint a picture for the readers in our minds.

Plot 20/20

Every plot in these shorts flow well. It’s not too fast or too slow. There’s a little bit more narration than dialogue because during some of the shorts, but it does not hurt the flow of the plots. I really enjoyed the flow of the first one. There was so much description that the entire scene came to life in my head. I even enjoyed the ending of it where we find out the truth about this little girl who loves Christmas.

Characterization 20/20

The characters definitely stick out. They are not your average characters, you think they are one way and then by the end your like, “OMG I did not expect this character to be that way.” This was specifically for ‘The Lips Of Angels.’ I did not expect this woman to be what she was. She seemed so innocent and tortured and I just did not expect that ending. (I’m trying not to spoil it.)

Creativity/Originality  10/10

The plots were creative and original. Although some had prompts, the writer used their creativity well to make it into their own.

Spelling & Grammar 15/15

The prose was easy to read. There weren't any grammar mistakes that I was able to catch.

Enjoyability 5/5

There were so many twists in these shorts. I enjoyed every single one. I wanted to hear more of what was to come for the character, but that probably won’t happen. Still I really enjoyed all of these shorts because they all had a beginning and end. Everything that was needed for the reader to retain from the stories were there.

Literary Devices 5/5

The writings were lyrically beautiful. There is a lot of metaphors and similes used. Most importantly the language just flows and she used specific words to make the story flourish. The author clearly thought of each word that would bring the story to life. It was almost like poetry.

Description 5/5

The characters and setting were brought to life. I could see everything clear in my mind. The images were etched into my mind as I read. I could vividly imagine each detail and it came to life.

Total: 100/100