Remember

The machine didn't make much noise, but it wasn't silent either; quiet humming sound filled the small enclosure and though Viivii had said that he would be in a coma during the scan. It was more of a dream-like state where he was nor awake nor asleep.

His eyes would go heavy to the point of closing, shutting him in a world of darkness at one moment and then in the other, he would find himself awake but not fully. Unrested and unaware of the hours that had passed behind his eyelids.

When his eyes were shut, Tory could see nothing but darkness but his mind was not put to rest as voices plagued his ears.

"TORY! SHUT UP!" He heard his mothers' angry tone echoed through the thick black darkness followed by a shaky gentle tone that only manages to make his heart beat rise further. "I'll protect you" she promised as he shrank into the darkness that surrounded him. "I'll protect you always so don't worry, but you have to be quiet okay?"

By then, Tory struggled against the shackle of blackness that held him captive. Allowing him to hear but not see. In the container, his body visibly trembled and sometimes gave a random spasm in response to his mental distress.

Tory, as he placed the words as those spoken back then, from his mother at that time, when he was young. He foolishly thought that this was his rebirth, his chance to save her from the fate she suffered and thus he desperately searches around in the darkness. Finding nothing and only able to listen as the even played out vividly for his ears.

"Hello" A sinister tone spoke out, like a knife it slashed the darkness, bringing with it cold chills. "Long time to see" It teased.

"I won't go back" Tory hears his mother sneere. "You'll have to kill me, I rather die! I won't go back!"

"Ah ah ah !" The sound of mocking laughter followed her words. The voice that spoke thereafter was the same but the tone was unlike the one who had greeted his mother. Where the first was like a knife, this one was like an arrow. Quiet and deadly, it held a sense of insanity, that caused trembled to all who heard it. Tory could almost see the wicked smile as the mysterious stranger spoke. 

"You're old now woman," He said "You don't have the same price on your ass as you did before" Then he whispered in a voice that was not a quiet "He doesn't want you. But Tory? Tory is young" There was a pause and then: "And he's pretty too"

"Bitch!" He growled, his violent tone only a whisper when compared to the loud Slap that led to his curse. There was a cry, undoubtedly female, unmistakably his mothers, and then a heavy thud followed by the protease of the weak floors supporting the sudden drop of a body.

"Where is he? " The offender questioned

"Where is who?" Tory heard his mother ask, her voice sounded weird. Her words were minced as if she had difficulty speaking.

After she asked that questioned the sounded of the floorboard protesting once again filled the darkness along with the echoes of hurried steps, angry grunts and his mother's cries of pain.

"Where is he ?" The voiced questioned. His tone was different from the one he used before. Wilder, the insanity was undoubtedly present. Ringing like bells over the symphony of blows, weak floors and cries. 

"Gone!" Veronica shouted. Her voice was strong, filled with confidence and a hint of teasing. Silence followed the statement. And at that moment Tory felt his heart stop. The darkness that surrounded him felt cold and lonely, his sightless eyes searched for anything and found nothing. He had begun to panic when sound return and words met his ears. But it wasn't his mother's gentle voice. 

"No, he is here!"  The cold tone of the stranger acted the part of a blade and stab every word into Tory's soul. The cold wind that followed after chilled him to the bone.  There was a burst of laughter, humorless dry then a whisper. Tory swore he felt every breath of the attackers' spoken word against his neck. "You are your father's daughter after all"

Then, there was light. 

Finally, Tory was able to open his eyes. He felt exhausted and because he was unrest he did not know that hours had passed since his eyes a fallen shut. Through the fogged up glass of the strange machinery. He saw the airy mysterious atmosphere of the lab drowned in darkness. At Least, that is what he should have seen.

Instead, his vision took in the sight of a dark underground space. Various pills of wood shreds and leaves could be made out before his gaze along with the village for the rodents that lived there.  He, himself was not in a pod-like machine but was squeezed into a tiny crack, the goodies and cakes that had fallen in his descent had been picked up and placed back in there bag which was now hugged tightly to his chest.

His eyes stared banky at the rats that darted from one corner to the other, some sparing him a glance while others ignored him altogether. But as time went on, more and more would wonder closer to where he hid. Each venturing closer and closer while he could do nothing but squish himself further into the darkness that was the crack in which he sat.

Then, there was light and the rats that had found the courage to wander near him scattered. Caramel eyes raised up, shock by the sudden source light only to find that the floor that had covered his head now held a wide hole. But what truly trapped the air in his lungs was the sight of his mother lying on the floor. Her body spread out on the same spot where he had earlier landed. His eyes meet hers with difficulty for her gaze were swollen. Half the face was red and purple in color, blood leaked from the corner of her mouth.

Tory felt his lips moved.

"Mommy" He whispered or tried to, but just like the world around him, he was silent. Able to see but not hear nor speak.

Tory couldn't help but stare at the blood that trickled down the side of her face, he was so shocked and mesmerized that he had forgotten to react It was only after he'd found her dulling eyes did he found the strength and sanity to call out 'mommy' with tremblig lips. His words were lost to his ears, so was her whimpers of pain that escaped his mother's parted mouth.

The steel toe boots of her attacker was also silent as they hit the floor. One leg at either side of her collapsed body, an inch, in any direction and he would have landed on her. Still, he purposefully nudged her with the side of his shoe as he stepped from over her. 

His steps as he rounded her were silent, he spoke but his words never met Tory's ears. Then he turns in the direction of the hidden child and sudden there was sound.

Beating, fast-paced and frantic, it was the sound of his own panicked heartbeat. The man came one step closer, then another, but before there could be a third, he was grabbed by the ankle, slender water wrinkled and hard working tired fingers clutching unto him. So strongly that they trembled under their force. Swollen, bleeding lips spoke a few words. And in result, the body of his mother no longer laid flat on the ground but was instead crashed up against a wall in the far corner. Her arms and legs were twisted in odd directions, she laid unmoving only her chest rose and fell hectically. 

His own racing heart was no longer the sound that rung in Tory's ear. Instead, it was his mother's wheezing breathes and the teasing tone of the man who had kicked her.

"If you don't want to see your mother die, come out!" He said, having walked over to her side and place a soiled boot on her left cheek. He threatened in a calm tone. Finally, Tory had raised his head and met the face of the attacker. 

The man was neither ugly nor handsome, he held no eye-catching traits. No moles or scars or unique facial features that would warrant remembrance. But it a face that was carved into every cell of the hidden child's mind. A face, Tory would never forget.