It cries

"It's crying" Little Tory shouted over the yelling child. His hand enclosed around his aching ears as he anxiously waited for his mother to deal with the unhappy pest.

"She!" Veronica corrected her child. Honey brown eyes rolling as she glanced over from her son to the crying baby. "She's crying" She repeated as she reached into borrowed cradle.

"She's annoying" Tory informed when the yelling continued despite his mother constant shushing and fussing. Finally, she picked her up began rocking motion from side to side. It quieted and Tory sighed in relief. Veronica rolled her eyes once again.

"Don't say that" She lightly scrolled.

"I'm only following your teaching" Tory began in a smart tone. "You say always tell the truth, I'm telling the truth"

"I also teach 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' " Veronica countered, raising a brow as she silently dared her son to continue.

Wordlessly, the seven year old simply turned on his seat and returned his attention to the homework spread out before him on the wooden table. Ignoring both his mother and the child she was looking after.

"Why is it-she crying now?" Tory groan, furiously glaring at the line he'd illy drew because of the sudden wailing of the infant laying behind him.

"I don't know," Veronica answered, rushing to the child's side. Silently, Tory fixed his glaring eyes to the baby his mother now held in her arms. Had it been him that had screamed like that, she would have given him a glare and or something to cry about.

"It could be because she's hungry," Veronica began. "She could be fussy, wet or maybe she just wants a little attention" She finished, laying the baby down on the changing table and doing what must be done.

"She's such a baby" Tory mumbled, watching as, once again, his mother fuss over the child. Veronica laughed at his words. Nodding energetically as she agreed.

"Yes, she is," She says, sending him a smile. Tory didn't return it.

"You know what I mean" He rolled his eyes. "I was never this winey" He then claimed, earning a snort for his mother.

"You were just the same" She informed him. Fastening the clean diaper in place and smiling down at the now happy baby girl. With a sigh, she picked her up and turned to her son. "But I always knew why you were crying," She told him. "Do you know how?" She asked receiving a somewhat curious shake of the head.

"Because i'm your mom." She informed. Tory rolled his eyes and was just about to turn away when she adds; "I know everything, like the D in cross pack history you got last week"

He blanked, not daring to move. They had a rule, he didn't have to be the smartest in his class, but he was not to get anything under a C minus. He began to sweat visibly.

"I'll catch up, I'm doing the extra credit right now" He blurted out. Veronica gave him a smirk, her eyes twinkling with amusement. That could mean a good thing or a bad thing. He never really knew which he was going to get when she smiled like that.

"I know," She says, placing down the baby and turning to approach him. When she was towering over his smaller, seating forme. She leaned down and placed a kiss on her nose. Her teeth on full display as she gave him a grin. "Cause I'm your momma" She declared, kissing him on the forehead and cheeks.

He fussed under her attention. 

Soon she was back at work, sweating over a hot iron as she continued pressing clothes for her various clients. A little while later, the baby was crying again, both mother and son groaned.