TEN: The Innocence of Youth

Peering around the corner I watch the vendor as he gets distracted by a customer, his back to the alleyway I'm hiding in. Baskets of fresh fruit and vegetables sit under the shade of his tent, the smell of citrus and dirt sifting through the air.

I chew at my lip, muscles tense as I prepare myself to run. My mouth waters in anticipation, stomach growling in agony for a taste.

The vendor walks a little further away, his view of his basket of oranges slightly out of view. Taking my chance, I leap away from the wall, pushing off of the brick as I scramble over, snatching one of the ripe fruit.

"Hey!" the man screams, pushing his paying customer out of the way as he begins to give chase.

My heart lurches in my chest, adrenalin rushing as I bolt back down the alley. He continues to yell, stomping around as he struggles to chase me with a large belly getting in the way. A grin stretches across my face as I continue to sprint, winding through the labyrinth that makes up downtown.

~~~

While busy changing a wriggly baby into a clean bodysuit, his little feet kicking at me in glee, Aliston decides to walk in. He waits for me to finish buttoning the front before he begins to speak.

"I know you have not been working here for very long," he says in his strange way of speaking, "but I wanted to ask if you would be happy to take over some of Caster's responsibilities."

Picking Lavere up, the little baby gurgles at me, kicking the air once again.

"Sure. Is there anything specific you want me to do?"

He shakes his head, "It would be better if he were to explain your new duties. I have already informed him you will be taking over some of his chores."

I wonder why he suddenly wants me to take over. He doesn't even know if I'm a capable employee yet.

"Okay. I think we're going to go food shopping today; I'll ask him about it then."

I go to walk out of the door, but stop when I realise there's something I should probably ask him.

"Oh, right. Is it okay to leave Lavere here with you and, uh, Avørek? While Caster and I go out?"

Aliston's lips twitch in what I think is a smile, but it passes too quickly for me to tell. He's always so serious looking, gliding through the house with a stoic expression and spying eyes.

"That will be fine. Avørek can look after him until you return."

I smile as thanks, bouncing Lavere in my arms as we skip down the stairs. He squeals in happiness, his little cheeks stretching in a gummy smile as he enjoys the 'journey' down to the main floor.

Babies are always so easy to entertain. Sure, they get fussy and cry a lot, but they smile and laugh just as much. Blow them a kiss or bounce them in your arms and they've completely forgotten why they were grumpy in the first place. Why can't adults be the same? Instead of holding grudges we could bounce around and forget the past.

"Caster?" I call through the house.

He pops up from around the corner that lead to the back yard, a small ceramic plant pot in his hands. "Hi!"

I smile, shifting Lavere to my other hip. "When are we gonna go shopping? Aliston said it's all good to leave Lavere with Avørek."

"Did he now?" I jump as Avørek comes up behind me, a sly grin painted on his face.

Shifting away from the alien, I stand a little straighter, watching him as he runs a finger along the stair's banister, as if checking for dust. He's wearing more jewellery today, necklaces glittering against his collarbones and long spindly earrings hanging from his ears.