"The Her!?! Jessica!?!" Danny instantly switched from concern to super excited. "Dude! Awesome!!!"

I smiled to myself. A half happy, half sad kind of smile. I found her, but I am not going to get to stay with her. "Yes Her. The Her. The one and only Her. Jessica."

Danny became positively giddy. He made a loud noise of success. A war whoop of sorts. I held the phone away from my ear. When he was done cheering he came back on and said "Man: Dude! That's so fuckin' awesome! Where are you? When can I meet her?"

Jessica smiled at the whooping on the other end of the line audible even over the little speaker.

I knew Danny could not see me, but I still gave a whoa motion with my free hand. "Yeah: The deal is, a cop is after me and also after her. I need to stay out of sight. Not the cops. A cop. It is a personal thing the guy has against me and with her. I didn't do anything wrong other than finding her."

Danny calmed. Became more serious "You have a cop after you and Jessica...? Oh man, that sucks big time. How bad is this?"

"Nothing too awful. I think we can handle it. Like I said, It's personal, not legal BS. He has a thing about Jessica that's a little over the top sick, and is not afraid to use his position to make our lives miserable".

'Understatement of the fucking year' I thought. Jessica looked like she was thinking the same thing.

"Having a cop after you is not good man! They got connections and ways of making you miserable. Now that you found her... is she worth the trouble?" That last part all concerned friend.

I looked at Jessica, and I did not care if she heard the answer. "Is Jessica worth it? Believe it, Danny. Everything it has taken so far and so much more besides. She is ... She is amazing. Listen, while I get this fixed, I just need to know if you can keep taking care of Ralph and Princess?"

Danny sounded like I just asked a really stupid question. "Yeah, come on! No problem dude. I can't believe your luck on this one. When are you going to catch a break here?"

I kinda wondered that too. I found her. That is not nothing. Sure, I am a little worse for wear, but I would take that beat down again to be with her.

Snowball came in from the garage. Jessica left the doors open on the car and the condo for her to exit the car and then enter the house whenever she felt ready.

"Soon, I hope." As it stood right now, catching a break would mean getting beat up again when I am almost done healing from this time. That or healing more slowly. Anything to extend my time with her.

Danny assured me "Well, don't worry about the house or the cats. I got that covered. Just let me know what I can do to help."

I was deeply grateful to my friend. Words just did not cover it. "I really appreciate it, Danny. I'll call when I can. Be a different number again, till I get my phone fixed."

Danny understood. "OK: Like I said, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help out"

Repeating himself about helping. Pure Danny: I know he is frustrated by not being able to do more. "There isn't now but it means everything to know you are taking care of my furr-kids. I'll let you know if there anything else. Promise. I am giving this phone back to its owner so I won't be at this number. I'll sort that out as soon as I can. Talk to you soon."

"OK. Awesome news about Jessica, man! Take care of yourself. And her." Danny clicked off the line. I could feel his helplessness. Danny is not the kind of friend who sits idly by.

I hung up the little phone and handed it back to Jessica, who took out the battery and stowed it in a drawer.

Jessica's then looked at me, her eyes sparkled happily "Sounds like you really built me up to your friend there"