Eight

Crack

I could hear the sound of something cracking up in my head.

But I must not have heard her correctly right, there was no way. So I asked, what did you say?.

Then she confirmed my  greatest fear by repeating said words," she was adopted" about ten minutes ago.

My whole world came crashing down, but how?; she was right here just this morning.
I saw her before I left, she was right here; I screamed.

She winced, perhaps because of the hysteria and hopelessness in my voice.

A couple came to adopt a child between the age of 1 and 2, your sister falls into that criteria. They saw her, liked her and then adopted her.

What gave you the right?, I whispered with tears in my eyes.

Excuse me?, she said.

She was my sister, my little sister. You had no right to give her out to some couple just because it fancies you.

We are done talking Kris she said, perhaps later when you have calmed down a bit I would explain the details;  for now please leave my office, I'm rather busy at the moment.

You can't do that I said beyond reasoning, you owe me an explanation. I was nearly upon her when I was dragged away by the nuns who were outside the office.

As I was dragged away, she said.

If it any consolation, the family she's with is rather well off and can take care of her. So you have no worries, your sister is in good hands.

Those final words of hers was what sealed her fate in my book.