Part 18

Penny stood alone near a two-story building with patio furniture and looked around nervously when a hand grabbed her shoulder, causing her to jump.

She turned to see Ruby grinning. She smiled in return. the two started strolling down the street.

"I wish I could help you, Ruby, but I don't know anything about those men."

"Well, what happened to you that night? We were all together, and then you just disappeared! Were you kidnapped?"

"Oh, no! Nothing like that!"

"Then where did you go?"

"I've never been to another kingdom before. My father asked me not to venture out too far, but... You have to understand, my father loves me very much; he just worries a lot."

"Believe me, I know the feeling." Ruby grinned and Penny grinned back.

"But why not let us know you were okay"

"I... was asked not to talk to you. Or Weiss. Or Blake. Or Yang.Or Y/N. Or Anybody, really."

"Was your dad that upset?"

"No, it wasn't my father..."

Before she could continue, she and Ruby heard the sound of megaphones announcing something, they turned around the corner to spot a platform in the center of a plaza where the holographic image of James Ironwood is stood before six AK-130 Androids, who in turn stood in front of two large metal storage cases with the spear-and-shield emblem on their doors.

"The AK-130 has been a standard security model of Remnant for several years, and they have done a fine job. Wouldn't you agree? Wouldn't you agree?"

the clapping of the gathered audience caused the drones to take a jerky bow "But... the kingdom of Atlas is a kingdom of innovation, and 'fine'... Well, that's just not good enough, is it? Presenting... the Atlesian Knight-200!" As Ironwood said this, the doors to the cases rolled up, and six new, bulkier, shinier automatons stand at attention before knocking their obsolete predecessors down to the applause of the watchers

"Smarter, sleeker, and admittedly, a little less scary.These models will become active later this year, but they won't be alone! Now, the Atlesian Military has always supported the idea of removing men from the dangers of the battlefield. However, there are still many situations that will undoubtedly require... a human touch."

"So, our kingdom's greatest minds, in cooperation with the Schnee Dust Company, are proud to introduce... the Atlesian Paladin! Ironwood's image was replaced with a hologram of a robotic white behemoth, featuring hinged piston legs, large guns for hands, and a rectangular head, standing at least twice as tall as the Knights below it.

"Now, we couldn't have him here for you today, but these mechanized battle suits will be seen defending the borders of our kingdom within the year!"

Ruby smiled as she stood hunched in awe "Whoa... "

"Ruby? Maybe we should go somewhere else..." At the side of the stage, two armored soldiers spotted Penny, pointing her out and calling in backup. Penny backed away and then broke into a run, which snapped Ruby out of her weapon-awe-induced stupor.

"Penny! Wait! Where are you going?"

Ruby turned to look back at the soldiers chasing after her friend, and realizing Penny's situation, swiftly followed her in an attempt to catch up down the winding alley.

One of the Atlas Soldiers gestured to his partner "Down here! She went this way!" Penny and Ruby ran across the street with the soldiers following them, though a honking car nearly runs one of them over. He luckily managed to brace his hands against the hood, which somehow stopped the vehicle, and his partner ran along after the girls.