→❀ Chapter 2

Flashback:

Marlene's house was three blocks from the building where I lived. Amy had dressed in her red dress, which she had just bought in the early afternoon. We went to Marlene on foot.
In the meantime, my friend was playing on her cell phone. I moaned as she did not take her eyes off him. And I already knew in advance who she was talking to. Which had the gift of exasperating me even more.
Maybe I should think to tell her one day, that Liam pinch for her. Maybe if she saw it, she would realize that she is also feeling for him. We never know. In fact, we never talked about it between us. We all consider ourselves more or less like brothers and sisters that life did not offer us.

"You plan to spend all your evening on it?" I asked, exasperated.

"Absolutely not!" replied Amy, before putting a long brown lock behind her ear. "I wrote to Liam."

"Liam?"

And he did not answered my messages?

"Yes. But he does not answer me."

Ah.
We were finally in front of Marlene's house. I rang the bell when someone screamed my name on the street.
I turned and watched as it was none other than Niall and his best-friend, Louis.

"Margot!"

"How are you?" I asked, while he was kissing my friend.

"Good and you??" He replied, giving me the kiss too.

I was smiling. Every time his lips brushed against my cheeks, a strange thrill spread over my whole body. And I always hated it, because I did not have the right to react that way, especially since Niall is my childhood friend. Even Amy was not aware of that strange sensation I felt when he snapped his lips against my cheeks.
I realized that seven months ago. But I kept it for myself. Even Liam, who is my best friend, was not aware. And anyway, that would pass. I too would find a boy, who will love me for who I really am. Niall is no other than a friend.

"You're pretty!" He observed.

And yet, my heart could not help speeding up. And fortunately we were dimly lit by the door that had just opened, because I could already feel the blood rising in my cheeks. I was mad at myself. I did not have the right.

"Thanks." I stammered quickly.

The door opened on a Marlene in a white dress. She was dazzling. She welcomed us with a warm smile.

"Here you are!" She exclaimed. "We were waiting more than you! Liam is not here?"

My gaze immediately turned to Niall, his best friend. He shrugged, a sign that he had no answer from him. Well, he was really starting to worry about Liam. He did not give us any news since this morning. I was just hoping he did not do anything stupid. However, last night we had talked until one o'clock in the morning, and it seemed to me that he was well. After all, maybe I was wrong.

"Margot? Are you okay?"

I turned my head to Niall, who was staring at me. Outside, we were more than both.
I had to miss an episode. Marlene, Louis and Amy were already inside. While I was lost in my thoughts, on the front steps of the door.

"Of course I am!" I agreed quickly, trying to hide my concern.

"It's Liam, is it?" He asked softly.

I nodded for the second time. His eyes changed. It would have darkened. I did not understand why, knowing that he was his best friend.

"He'll come." He whispered, rolling his eyes. "He would not be missing anything in the world this evening. Then, he would not want to miss you."

I stared at him, dazed. I did not react. He gave me one last look before turning his back on me.

"Forget it!" He said, shaking his head slightly.

Then he left me alone, on the front steps of the door. I did not understand his reaction.

End of flashback:

"I blame myself for accepting this stupid challenge!" Sighed Amy.

"Me too!" I whispered.

"Well, we can always blame the alcohol!" Louis observed.

"You woke up!" I laughed.

"Yeah, your whispered woke me up!"

I was choking a laugh. While Amy burst out laughing, not at all feminine.

"No, but frankly." She reprimanded herself, "Never accept anything when drunk!"

"You're right!" said Niall. "Speaking of that, do you remember Marlene's party?"

I thought for a moment, then frowned. I remembered particularly the beginning and the discomfort that I had with Niall, on the doorstep. But after that, the rest was still fuzzy.

"Not very good." Replied Louis. "And you ?"

"I have some memory lapses!" Confessed Niall.

"It's normal, we're still a little drunk." Liam observed.

The night was going to be long.

"So let's sleep!" Amy said in a maternal voice. "The challenge ends tomorrow night."

All her words were approved. Silence reigned again in the cabin. I closed my eyes.
For now, only the beginning of Marlene's night was clear in my mind.
I sighed. Alcohol did not succeed me. And it was obviously the same case for my friends. We had surely abused it.