28

That night, they made camp in a small clearing, partially sheltered by soaring pines. They were getting closer to Gunnar and, hopefully, Esmund, but with each mile crossed, it became harder for Ulric to ignore the impending doom.

He had kept his worries and—heaven help him, fears—from Ingrid, especially after the few words she'd spoken to him upon learning of his wish to change the future. But he ached to tell her if only to hear he wasn't alone in harboring them.

Magnus set out and caught two rabbits for dinner, and Ulric caught a couple of fish, providing them with a veritable feast once they cooked everything. After they'd eaten all the food, Ingrid stood with a pained grimace and took a few halting steps toward the penned horses.

Holding a hand to her hip, she slowly limped back and forth between the horses and the fire. Ulric made it to his feet and brushed dirt and dried pine needles from the seat of his trousers, crossing the short distance to Ingrid by the horses.

She smiled at him when she turned back toward the fire, but it didn't reach her eyes. "I thought I'd stretch my legs before we retire for the evening."

Ulric frowned and took her into his arms, looping his hands loosely behind her back. His Berserker rumbled in pleasure and filled his chest with the low vibration. "Your hip is still paining you?"

"It never stops," She murmured with a small shrug, reaching up to smooth away the frown from his brow. "Will you walk with me for a bit?"

"Or I can carry you?"

"I'd prefer to walk...for now."

Ulric kissed her and took her hand, leading her away from camp. "Did you have any place in mind of where you'd like to walk to?"

She shook her head.

"Well then, you're in luck. I know of a pretty little spot I think you'll appreciate."

She bit her bottom lip and grimaced, rubbing her hip with her free hand. "How far away is it?"

"Not too far."

He kept their pace slow and steadied her each time her leg faltered. The babbling of a brook mixed with the hoot of an owl as they drew closer to their destination. However, a snow-covered log blocked their path, and she groaned aloud at seeing it.

Grunting in satisfaction at finally being given the perfect opportunity to hold her, he swept her into his arms and stepped over it without breaking his stride.

"It's our wedding night," He said with an unapologetic shrug. "And I enjoy holding you."

She smiled, this one reaching her eyes, and rested her head on his shoulder with a contented sigh.

A few moments later, the pine trees that had hemmed in around them opened up and showcased the brook ahead. Moonlight glinted off the surface and reflected in the pristine snow around it. The dense white fluff covered the banks on either side and stood at least seven inches tall atop every exposed surface. More snow continued to fall around them, muffling some sounds even as it enhanced the crispness of others.

She tensed in his arms, and Ulric held his breath, anxious over what she was about to say. However, she said nothing.

His curiosity piqued, he pressed his lips to her forehead and whispered against her skin, "What's wrong?"

A breath caught in her throat before she quietly admitted, "I need to tell you something, a couple of things actually, but you have to promise you won't hate me afterward."

The tone of her voice sent chills down his spine and made his stomach clench in dread. "What is it?"

"You have to promise first."