Naqeeb could hear people screaming and jumping into a car outside the compound and asked irritably, "What happened?"
"Something terrible. That guy in the outhouse... he escaped. We don't know how!" Jameel replied in a low voice.

Naqeeb's mind was on full alert now. "What?" He yelled.

"Shsh... keep your voice down. By the way where is your friend?"Jameel repeated.

Naqeeb opened his mouth and closed it again. "Er... he is in the bathroom. Tell Laala we will be there in a moment."

He closed the door before he heard anymore objections. His head ached and he was still feeling drowsy. How did this happen? And where was Fayiz anyway? Wasn't he supposed to return much earlier? Naqeeb staggered towards the room upstairs. As this side of the house was quiet and unoccupied, he couldn't hear what was going on. He knocked on the door.
After a few moments, the door opened a little, showing Deeba's face, but Naqeeb pushed it wide open, ignoring her protests. Fayiz was fast asleep on the bed, half naked. Naqeeb sighed with relief. He wasn't thinking clearly... what was he expecting? He couldn't help but notice that Fayiz looked much thinner. Naqeeb shook his head, as if that would help his grogginess. What was wrong with him? This wasn't the time to think of Fayiz's physique!

Naqeeb shook Fayiz's leg and woke him up. "Fayiz! Get up! Quickly! There is no time to lose. We are in so much trouble if my brother finds out that you spent the night here."

Fayiz opened his eyes and rubbed them.

"What happened? You said you will back in one hour when you left!" Naqeeb demanded .

Fayiz stretched lazily as he got up. "Sorry. I just fell asleep. It was a long tiring day for me and on top of it..."
But Naqeeb cut him short. "Come on, we don't have time to discuss all this. Hurry up!" and threw the clothes lying on the floor at him.

"What happened?" Fayiz asked in a worried tone, as he began to pull on his pants.

Deeba peered through the window. "Has something happened in the family? Why is everyone running around?"

"Hey Deeba, it's none of your business, okay? Get out of here, or hide somewhere. If my Laala or anyone see you now, they will kill you. Run away as fast as you can, but don't go anywhere near the outhouse." Naqeeb warned her.

Fayiz too signalled her to leave. Deeba hurried outside.

After making sure she was out of earshot, Naqeeb repeated whatever little he came to know. Fayiz was equally shocked and realised the urgency. Naqeeb locked up the room again and both of them hurried towards Naqeeb's room. As Naqeeb hung the key back on the door handle, Sadiq and his men walked into his room.

Fayiz reached out to his friend.
"Sadiq, how did this happen? Naqeeb told me just now. I warned you yesterday not to take everything for granted! What were your guards doing?"

"Someone drugged my guards and took that bastard away. There was no way he could have done this on his own. There is a traitor in my house who helped that guy, and the moment I find out who it is, I will kill him or her." Sadiq's jaw hardened as he glared at his old friend.

This is what Naqeeb was afraid of. As he watched both the friends, Fayiz moved closer, his face a few inches from Sadiq's.
"I am getting a bad vibe here. If you weren't my old friend, I would have smashed your face to a pulp by now. I told you yesterday Sadiq, I don't like the way you talk in such roundabout manner. Why don't you say exactly..."
Sadiq cut him short.

"Did you help that guy escape?"

"No!" Hissed Fayiz.

"Why should I trust you? You are the only new person..."