Chapter 2

The Pre-wedding celebrations ran late into the night. While Deeba and the troupe entertained with their dance and music, the men fired shots in the air showing off their guns. Sadiq seemed least interested in any of the proceedings and sat there with a bored face but Naqeeb enjoyed the night most, and even teased Fayiz about Deeba as she kept dancing near him.

The food was sumptuous, as Fayiz hoped, and he didn't hold back. The guests enjoyed a grand buffet meal with an assortment of meat Kebabs, Challow with Korma, Mantu and the traditional Kabuli Pulau as well as a variety of sweets. Due to the hot weather, the wedding guests made a beeline for different types of drinks including the local favourite Shombleh or Lassi, a yoghurt drink in savoury or sweet flavours.

Fayiz grimaced the moment he tasted his sweet lassi, and Haji Malim who was sitting next to him, asked "What is wrong Fayiz?"
"Oh nothing..." Fayiz looked away in embarrassment.
Sadiq joined them by now and offered, "Don't be shy my friend. If the Lassi is not good, I can ask the boys to get you another one."
"No... I mean y...yes, it tasted a little bit off for me. May be due to the heat the yoghurt has turned bad or something. Please don't trouble anyone. It could be my taste buds too. I haven't been feeling well." Fayiz admitted.
"Another fresh glass of Lassi for Fayiz" Sadiq snapped his fingers towards one of the boys.

*******
Few hours later
*******

Fayiz struggled to keep his eyes open and nodded to whatever Naqeeb was saying, as they sprawled on their beds in Naqeeb's room.
"Are you going to stay here for few months?" Naqeeb asked.

"Hmmm it depends. I haven't decided yet." Fayiz yawned as his mobile rang.

"Who on earth would call you at this hour? You don't have to answer you know!" Naqeeb's irritation was evident at the interruption.

"No idea. It is an unknown number, but it could be important." Fayiz's brows furrowed as he swiped the screen to answer the call. The moment he heard the voice at the other end, he swore loudly "What the... who gave you my number?" He controlled his temper with difficulty as he noticed Naqeeb was hanging on to every word he said.

Before he could cut off the call, there was a soft knock on the door and Naqeeb rushed to open the door.
Deeba was waiting outside with a shawl wrapped around her head, a mobile clutched in one hand. Naqeeb whistled, a wide smirk spreading on his face. Fayiz reached the door in two strides.

"Fayiz, can't we talk for few minutes, for old times' sake?" Deeba pleaded, as Naqeeb watched the changing colours on Fayiz's face with a mix of amusement and fascination.

Naqeeb decided to put Fayiz out of his misery and pushed him past the door towards Deeba. He took out a key chain hung to the wall and handed over to Fayiz. "Go upstairs and open the last room on the right. There are some repairs going on in that part of the house, so no one will be there. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"Thanks, Naqeeb. I will be back soon." Fayiz's sheepish smile said it all.

"Of course!" Naqeeb winked at Fayiz as he closed the door. He remembered too well how Fayiz and Deeba were looking at each other throughout the night. He gulped the last remnants of the Lassi in the glass and grimaced. May be the yoghurt has gone off... it definitely tasted bad! He slumped on his bed, and immediately fell asleep, tired after the long day.

******
Naqeeb tossed in bed. He could hear loud noises and people running outside his room. What was all that commotion? That too in the middle of the night? He tried to open his eyes but was too tired and sleepy. There was a knock on his door. But it felt like someone was pounding his head instead. He somehow managed to get up from the bed and ambled to the door, opening it a little.
It was one of Sadiq's men, Jameel.
"Sadiq wants to talk to that friend who came last night. Where is he?" He asked anxiously.