43: Pride And Joy

Start from the beginning

"I knew that you'd love it," Vince said as we found some chairs to sit on under an umbrella.

We got settled in and I quickly started applying sunscreen, determined to not get a sunburn while we were here. Vince put some on too and soon the two of us were sitting together, as close as our separate chairs would allow. I gently closed my eyes under my sunglasses and took a deep breath.

After a few minutes, Vince gave up on just trying to be close to one another, eventually moving so that we were both crowded onto one chair.

"This is better," he said finally, resting his head on my shoulder again as we laid together, each laying on our left sides as he wrapped an arm around me.

We sat together and enjoyed the beautiful weather, and probably dozed off a couple of times as we snuggled together on the chair. After a few hours drifted by, we both sat up and put some more sunscreen on, this time Vince was helping me by rubbing it onto my back.

"Didn't you tell me that you used to surf?" I asked suddenly out of curiosity.

"Yeah, Stephen, Axl, and I would do it almost every weekend," he replied.

I swear to god that he was trying to kill me by the way that he was rubbing the sunscreen into my back. He even went as far as untying the knot in the back of my bikini top so that he could rub it on under there. I was lying if I said that I didn't get excited, thinking that he was untying it for a different reason.

"You should show me," I said, thinking how hot it would be to see him surf. I had no clue how anyone could even do that.

"Nah, it's been a really long time," he said, rubbing the sunscreen now onto my sides, dangerously close to my breasts.

"I'm sure that you'd do fine," I said, shrugging a little, trying to get his hands away from me. "I think that's good, thank you." He set down the bottle and we laid back into our chairs, this time alone.

"Maybe I'll have to teach you sometime," Vince said, flashing me a smile. I couldn't see his eyes behind his sunglasses, but I knew that he was looking at me sincerely.

"Let's do it," I said, looking at him back with sincerity. "Why not?" I asked, shrugging again.

"For real?" He asked, smiling brightly at me. "You know it's actually pretty hard."

"Are you underestimating me?" I teased. "The worst thing that happens is I just watch you and you can show off all of your cool moves."

"Okay," he said, suddenly standing up with a light nod. "Let's go then."

I stood up too and we headed back inside the hotel to see if they had any rental surfboards. Of course they did, it was Hawaii after all. We went back out to the beach where we were earlier, the waves were starting to pick up a bit more now that the afternoon sun was starting to set in. A worker brought out two surfboards and suddenly I wondered how the hell I thought I could do this.

After probably an hour or two, despite Vince's helpful instructions, I kept falling and falling, never able to quite ride out a wave.

"You were so close that time," he said to me, trying to cheer me up. I was honestly getting pretty frustrated at this point, but I was determined to do at least one wave.

After maybe another hour or so, on my last attempt that I was willing to try today, I was finally able to ride one. Maybe it was only for a brief second but I did it. Vince was cheering at me from where he was sitting on his and once I got back onto mine we headed back to the shore. I was exhausted.

"You did really good for your first time," Vince said as we carried the boards back to the hotel.

"Better than your first time?" I asked teasingly.