"Wonderful," Dunek remarked.

"Yes. But she does have markings on her back and the nape of her neck that appear to be burned on. The markings look like words."

"Do you know what it says?" Keiran asked.

"Unfortunately, I do not," she replied. "But on to other good news, we were quite astounded to find that she doesn't have any bodily scars."

"Is that so?" Stanjah questioned.

Everyone in the room smiled and nodded with approval—pleased with the news, but Keiran was tapping his finger on his knee, his gaze on the curtains.

"Do you have a picture of these markings?" Keiran asked. I was about to express my discontent with having to get undressed again, but the nurse answered.

"No, my Anmus." The nurse bowed. "But we can have this done right now and have the images transferred to the New Incus General Health Center—"

"We won't be doing that," Stanjah interjected, with a firm shake of her head. "No database transfers. You will take the images yourself to an approved translator in Incus."

"Once the markings are analyzed and when the origin of the language is determined, bring the physical reports to me," Keiran said.

"Certainly, my Anmus."

***

When we returned to Tor-Kenner's mansion I went to the study in hopes of finding Martin, but he wasn't there. I went up to my room instead and found a few new paintings adorning the walls and several ornate sculptures of ambiguous shapes parked in the corners of the room.

I took a quick bath, leaving my clothes and the confining wig on the floor. When I was done, I looked in the armoire for something comfortable to wear. I should be so lucky to find sweatpants and a t-shirt, but there was nothing of that sort. I came across a loose, flowing gown with an open back and decided that it would have to do. As I was slipping into the dress, I tried to look at the burn mark on my back. There was enough of a fuss about it to get me back in the change room for the nurse to document the markings. I wanted to see for myself, but the location of it was impossible for me to see without a mirror.

My gaze was then drawn to the box in the middle of the room. On it was a note from Drea explaining that she would assist in unpacking with my orders. I placed the box on my bed and sat beside it with my legs curled under me. I wanted to open it in comfort. Inside the box contained something that was wrapped with a plain, tan colored rug—the kind that was so abrasive you'd avoid stepping on with your bare feet.

I pulled the rug out of the box and unfolded the layers to reveal a single black chest with golden trimming. I tried to open it, but it was locked. I turned the box upside down but there was nothing else inside—not even a key.

Odd.

I placed the black chest aside then got up to look at the new paintings on the walls. Most were abstract, some more architectural, but they didn't hold my attention for long.

There was one particular painting that caught my eye—a portrait.

It was a full-length painting of an exquisitely beautiful woman. Her long spirals of magnificent blond curls were adorned with jewels of sapphire, and ruby thread braided into it. Her skin was unblemished and smooth, and she was slim. Her eyes were a clear blue—piercing and striking. She didn't smile.

I heard footsteps approaching and I made a dash for the armoire, throwing on a robe just as someone knocked on my door.

"One moment," I said. I opened the door to see Keiran.