18: Say Yes

7/6/3028

Stanjah led me into the carriage from the back door while Keiran and Jarek entered from the front into a separate compartment. I was a bit hesitant to be separated from them, but after all the walking, I just wanted to get inside and get off my feet.

The interior of the carriage was extravagant and finely decorated. To my left was a velvet cushioned couch, and on the other end of the space to my right was a closet and a makeshift change room that was draped with a nicely embroidered curtain. At the far corner of the carriage by the couch, a teapot and teacups sat on a bronze corner table. The aroma of herbal tea filled the room, disarming most of my unease with a single whiff.

"This is nothing like what I'd expected." I gawked at my surroundings and made no attempt to hide my fascination.

"Indeed. Possen Fort does not make Ankinia. We haven't had a chance to civilize it quite yet," Stanjah said, sitting down gracefully on the couch.

The carriage jerked slightly, and I grabbed hold of the arm of the couch to steady myself. I turned around and rested my fingertips on the bronze crowning that lined the window as I watched us leave the dirt path, taking flight. "This is incredible."

"Goodness!" Stanjah laughed. "Do you not have vehicles with flight capabilities in Hemley?"

"We do, but I don't think they operate the same way. How does this thing work?"

"This vehicle is operated through the energy from corin stones."

"We have something similar; I think. We call it gas. The problem is when we run out, the car stops."

"We exhaust corin energy from the stone as well."

"What happens if you're flying and it's suddenly... exhausted?"

"There is a gauge to inform the user of when corin energy is low and should be replenished," said Stanjah.

"Ah." I should have guessed that. I sat down on the edge of the couch. "How fast does this thing go?"

"Well, if you had continued on your journey to Ien by foot, you would have arrived by sundown. In the corin carriage, we should arrive within an hour."

"Why doesn't everyone just get around by corin carriage instead of—"

"Three reasons." Stanjah abruptly held her hand up in the air as if to motion for me to stop talking. "First, it's costly for most to acquire corin. Second, you would need enough in reserve for replenishing. The third and most important reason is that even if corin were easy to come by, it is useless if you do not know how to use it. There are, of course, some machinery used in daily activities that don't require skill in corin, such as a lift for getting to different floors. Such technologies are mechanical and the corin simply powers the device in use."

"I see." I said. I turned around and peered out the window by the door, enjoying the view of the forest canopy. Then, I remembered Martin and Ilta.

"Hey, Martin and Ilta are probably still riding out there!" I blurted.

"They're in Ien already. Ilta will leave for Incus tonight."

"And what about Elossai?"

"The Elos is receiving treatment," she said stiffly.

"Will she be alright?"

She remained emotionless. "Our medical staff are doing the best that they can."

I got nothing further out of her. It bothered me that she acted so nonchalantly about Elossai's plight, but I didn't want to press the issue. I would find Elossai and Martin later and see for myself how they were doing.