twelve

Loki returned to Gaea the night after Sif and the Warriors Three visited him. Of course, he didn't knock. He simply strolled in as if he owned the place. And technically, he did, since he was now king.

"Gaea, did you eat yet?" he asked.

She was currently making baby clothes. She looked up from the chair she was sitting on in the corner.

"I tried, but nothing seemed appetizing," she admitted.

"I've brought food. Are you in the mood for dessert?"

She curiously looked at the basket he was holding. He walked closer to her and held the basket out for her to take. She put the unfinished baby shirt to the side and gingerly took the basket from his hand and peered into it.

"Most of these are sweets," she commented.

"You seem like the type of girl to like sweets," he explained.

"Why, because I'm nice?"

"Precisely."

Gaea sighed. "Well, you're not wrong," she muttered.

He smirked in victory. "Of course I'm not. I'm always right."

She rolled her eyes. "And there goes the small hint of affection I held for you."

"You held affection for me?" he questioned.

"How could I not?" she mumbled. "Anyway, thank you for the sweets. Will you be staying here or...?"

He briefly looked out the window. "They'll be wondering where I am if news gets out I am not in my room, but I can stay for a little - just to make sure you and the - our child is okay."

She nodded wordlessly. "Thank you. That's very kind of you."

He faintly smiled, but it seemed sad and broken. "I'm usually not very kind."

"How does it feel to be kind?"

"Odd, but it's not bad," he replied.

"I'm glad," she said.