39. Oops, she did it again

Start from the beginning

'I really don't feel like wine tonight. Thanks Alex' I sat at the table. 'Look... I did want to talk to you about something, I just don't know who else to go to. You've been so wonderful and I'm just so lost right now'

'Why, whats wrong?' Instantly my mind started thinking if Dylan had hurt her 'What did he do!?' She could hear the anger.

'No, nothing.. We, um.. I think we broke up' Well that wasn't what I was expecting at all. 

'Oh' I cleared my throat. She just stared at me, expecting a reaction. 'You okay?' 

'Yeah.. I'm fine. I think its what I wanted.. or at least it was for the best, I don't really know' She seems really hurt. Even though she says she is fine. 

'What made you decide you wanted out? Found a new affair?' I chuckled. She did not find that funny. 

'No, Alex. I don't know. I don't know if i'm doing the wrong thing'

'So, let me understand... you're asking your ex-husband if you should stay with the boyfriend you cheated on your husband with...'

'Wow'

'Danny, I'm sorry, but come on' I laughed 'You can't be serious. Well, of course i'm going to be bias and say leave the loser' 

'Please... Can you just... Don't worry, I shouldn't have come' She stood up.

'Okay, okay, sorry, just... Sit' She obeyed. Almost like she had won.

'If you feel more devastated than happy, then you have obviously made the wrong decision... What suddenly made you feel like this?' 

'I just.. Hes immature and I don't see him helping me raise the kids.. You know'  

'How do you know? Is he rude to them?' 

'Well no... They like him actually' 

'Maybe its a good thing, Danny... Maybe a bit of fun and young blood is what you need. Some fun, a different taste of life' 

'He wanted to move into this place he found.. It was actually really amazing' 

'There you go, hes trying.. Look... As much as I want to reconstruct his face' she rolled her eyes 'He seems like a decent guy, honest'

'I'm pregnant' 

I just felt my heart sink into my stomach.

'W-what, pre-pregnan-you're pregn..' I couldn't speak. I began walking around the kitchen like a headless chook, not knowing what to do or say. I'm so shocked and... Hurt actually. Danny walked in on me with my head down on the kitchen bench. 

'Alex...' I jumped up 'Sorry, um... I'm sorry. I've been wanting to tell you but I couldn't' 

'Wait, how far along are you? How long have you known?'

'Not long, at all.. Are you angry?'

'No, Im not angry.. Just.. Cant believe it.. I cant be angry' 

'Really?' 

'I just... It feels weird, I cant explain it.. Its all too soon I think, for me'

'I understand' She said sweetly. Is this a good time to tel her about Avery and I? I don't know if I should. So many thoughts going through my mind.

'I guess there's something I should tell you, Danny' She looked concerned. 

'What?' I watched her watch me. There was silence. I could see she was trying to figure out what I'm thinking. 'What, Alex?' 

'Uhh..' Say it, say it, say it 'Avery..' Oh good job. Her face dropped. Well come on! Finish the sentence. 'Her mum passed away on Graduation.. I've been, I guess you could say, supporting her through this tough time... That's why I've been so distant and busy and distracted'. 

'Oh.. Wow.. Was her mum..'

'Not well.. Not well at all, actually' I can see shes genuinely upset.

'Is she okay?' 

'Shes struggling to cope - She doesn't really have much of a family, so I've just been supportive' 

'Send my deepest condolences, please' I nodded. 

'Danny, I hope you know I will move on soon, too... I just want to put it out there.. There can't ever be an us again' I said in the nicest way I could. She just nodded in response.

'I figured. I just hope we can be the kind of ex couple that get through things, you know, for the kids' 

'Danny, I still love you very much... In a very different way now though. I would never throw you out of my life - not ever and not for the kids either. We are still a family in reality' 

'I do hope you find someone who makes you happier than I did' She smiled and grabber her bag. I'm guessing she is leaving. 'Thank you for dinner.. I have some things I have to take care of' 

'You keeping it?' She turned. I could see in her eyes she was unsure. She didn't give an answer. 'Goodnight Danny' 

'Night Alex'

_______________________________________________________________________

DANNY'S POV

I know he is working late - I can't wait to surprise him. I hope he isn't over me already. I got into the elevator and waited for the doors to open. I am so nervous. I walked over to the office, I can see him standing at his desk. Wow, my desk looks so lonely and sad. I knocked on the door.

'Danny.. Hi' He dropped his paperwork. 'Whats happening?' 

'I wanted to talk to you' I smiled. I could tell he was a little confused. 

'About?' I placed the giant box I had in my hands in front of him 'Whats this?' 

'Open it; I whispered. He opened it slowly, took the first layer of tissue paper off.

'A purchase agreement? Wait... This is.. The house?' I can see he is getting excited.

'Keep looking' He removed the second layer. 

'Property deed... Danny, did you - you bought the house?!' 

'Keep going..' I said with urgency. I watched him removed the last layer. It revealed little socks, little shoes, a bib, a dummy and.. My pregnancy test. 

'NOOOO.. WE'RE PREGNANT!' He squealed and kissed me with excitement. 'Danny!! Oh my god. I'm going to be a dad! Oh my god' 

'Are you crying?' I laughed as I wiped the tear off his cheek. 

'But - I.. Oh god, I thought you didn't want any of this' 

'I guess I was just scared.. I'm ready.. For all of it, with you' 

I felt a huge pressure lift off my shoulders. I'm so glad he is happy, I was worried it would have been a disaster. This is the start of a new journey and I am beyond nervous and scared. But God planned it this way. And i'm okay with it all.