"Is she safe?" Martin asked.

"That cannot be qualified. The device does not track the well-being of an Ora commuter. It only allows me to determine which territory the commuters traveled to—and even that, it does not pinpoint the exact location, only an approximate."

"Well, that's just great." Martin flopped down on the chair by the redwood desk.

"So, where is the approximate location of the child?" Tor-Kenner asked, setting down his teacup. He looked very much concerned.

"She's in the territory of the Todaji," said Ilta.

Martin grabbed a familiar book which I'd left on the desk: Elorian Geography.

"Where's Todaji?" Martin grumbled.

"Todaji isn't a place, that's a race of people. Here," I said as I helped him locate Todaj in the continent of Olorisi. It was in the south-western hemisphere.

"I personally think it's an odd location for them to have chosen," Ilta said.

"Indeed," Stanjah agreed. "They could have gone closer to Nevv. Even Doon would have made more sense as their destination."

"That's because their purpose wasn't to bring Katie to Nevv. They need Sye-Liene, and Katie is bait," said Keiran.

"How do we get her back without giving them Ell?" Martin asked.

"We should contact the Todaji authorities and alert them about these Ra intruders. Secondly, we will try to negotiate with the Todaji to allow a team of our soldiers to search for and rescue Katie," Stanjah said.

"How long will it take for you to negotiate with the Todajis?" Martin asked.

"The plural of Todaji is Todaji," she corrected. "And it is really dependent on them. They are not particularly trusting."

"Can't you just send in a team without going through that whole process?"

"The last thing we want is to be accused of espionage. Civil relations are a fragile thing."

"Fine. How long will it take to negotiate?" Martin sounded vexed. He wanted to hear actual solutions—not about the obstacles.

"Realistically, up to several weeks," she answered.

Martin cursed, getting back on his feet again. "Are you serious?"

"We need to negotiate with their governing body to enact a covert mission. We cannot barge into their country with artillery."

"I don't give a flying—"

"Clearly you know very little about diplomacy. Besides, Dunek Anmus would be more willing to use our resources after our interests are met."

Stanjah was right. They had their interests, too.

I held a hand out toward Martin, asking for him to remain calm. "We understand, but several weeks later they could be anywhere. I can only imagine what it'd be like for Katie, thrust into a strange place with frightening strangers, and for a week by now. Please, we really need you to do better than that."

"We will." Keiran looked at me and Martin solemnly. "If we involve my father, it should be much sooner than that. In two days, he will arrive in Ien and I'll be sure to speak to him personally about this matter, Martin. I can assure you that we are doing everything we can to get her back, as soon as possible," said Keiran.

***

Ilta and I walked toward the practice range in awkward silence. It crossed my mind to engage in small talk, but it would have been like pulling teeth.