Chapter III

The news about the surreal deal had instantly spread like wildfire. It hasn't been a day and almost all of the inmates were talking about participating it. It was a once in a lifetime deal after all. The chances of it being real was slim Namjoon had said and the others agreed to it and Taehyung only listened to the exchange. They were professionals; the underworld respected them compared to Taehyung who used to be an innocent school boy with many admirers that he tend to avoid.

Namjoon stayed in his room the next following days, only coming out for meals and their scheduled meet ups that they agreed on in their classroom and Taehyung surmised that the older boy was thinking or planning something. The others also thought the same thing.

Then the day came, the day everyone had been waiting and eager for. A guard had explained to them that they would be doing it in batches, so everyday fifty people would get “released” after answering the survey.

Choosing the first fifty had been a challenge and it was a good thing that Jimin suggested that they should stay away from the crowd. A fist fight had broken out, all wanting to go first. It took an hour for the guards to calm everyone and put them in their place. The guards decided they would just randomly pick people off the crowd and Taehyung prayed that the guard wouldn’t see him, or his friends. If any of them got picked and turned down the offer, they’d get suspicious and would have eyes on them all over the place.

As days passed by, Taehyung watched as their population grew less until the day came when only less than a hundred fifty were left. Everyone who agreed to participate hadn’t come back since then and Taehyung grew anxious and so did his friends. Namjoon had even apologized and said that he might have been wrong so they agreed to participate. He had cried after that, after all they were about to part ways.

They had said their goodbyes, hugged for the last time leaving Taehyung feeling sad and empty all of a sudden.

He cried again in his room.

Taehyung was sleeping soundly when a hand on his shoulder shook him gently. Grumbling in his sleep Taehyung swatted the hand away and turned to his side covering himself fully with his blanket.

The hand shook him again, this time it was less gentle.

Taehyung inwardly groaned and swatted the hand again. “Leave me alone.” When nothing happened, Taehyung smiled in his sleep, his roommates bothered him while his sleeping sometimes, betting within themselves on whoever manages to wake up the heavy sleeper. So when Taehyung’s blanket was forcefully pulled away from him, he growled, sitting up as he glared at the blanket napper.

“Look here you so…” Taehyung trailed off before screaming, instantly gluing himself to the wall heart beating loudly in his chest as he stared at bright turquoise eyes. “What are you doing here?!”

“Stop screaming, you’ll wake up everyone.” Karma pouted as she sat on the floor, her legs straightening out.

Taehyung only gulped and slowly unglued himself from the wall. What was she doing here anyway? Then Taehyung suddenly realized something. He hadn’t seen the girl since the incident and that was a month ago. So what was she doing here?

“Where have you been?”
Why are you here? Taehyung meant to ask.

“Inside my room.” Karma blinked, head cocking to the side. “Why?”

“I haven’t seen you since you know the incident.” Taehyung was now mentally kicking himself; it was like his mouth had a mind of its own. There were far more important questions to ask than these.

“I was told to stay but I easily get bored so every night I went exploring. Don’t tell anyone though.” Karma grinned as she placed a finger on her lips, winking.