Roots

The week continued on like that sleepless nights & paul worrying about me, Jake stayed. He wasn't ready to be alone & honestly I didn't want him to be. No one had heard from Bella, she didn't answer any of my calls. I didnt know where she was or if she was okay, it was really eating at me. Charlie was in & out of Pauls house because I refused to leave, I couldn't. There was no complaint from Paul either, he didn't mind.

Another week passed & still no word from Bella, I miss her & I'm past the point of worried. I just need to know that she's okay. I've been home this week but only to pack some my things into boxes & clear out the garage, I decided that I should start to move in with Paul. Jacob hasn't left the spare room, he doesn't sleep, he doesn't eat, he won't talk to anybody outside of Paul & I. I've been keeping Billy up to date but honestly I'm worried for Jake too, Bella's leaving has taken its toll. He knows she has chosen Edward but I don't think he'll give up on her when she gets back...if she gets back.
I hauled another box down the stairs just as the front door creeked open, my jaw went slack & I dropped the box down the stairs with a crash.
"Bella? " I stammered out as I flew down the stairs & threw myself into her arms. I pulled back looking over her to make sure she was okay.
"I'm fine, I'm fine." she said slapping my hands away. "it's okay, Becka. Honestly." she had an awkward smile on her face.
"it's okay." I repeated sarcastically. "it is far from okay Bella! I have been worried sick." my voice broke when I pulled her in for another hug. "why didn't you answer my calls?!"
She pulled a strand of hair behind her ear & looked at the floor sheepishly "I kind of ran through a fountain & it got wet. But Edward bought me a new one when we got back, I didn't have anyone's number I couldn't."
I looked at her confused "why were you running through fountains?" she let out a small laugh.
"it's a long story" she replied.
I sighed & ruffled her hair "how's Edward?"
She looked up at me bewilderment clear on her features "he's fine, well not fine but he's back now and we're okay so it's fine."
I raised my eyebrow questioningly but said nothing expect "Dads worried sick about you, he's down at the station. You need to go see him, do you want a lift?" she nodded not taking her eyes off the floor & moving towards my truck.

There had been silence for a good part of the ride to the station, Bella just stared out the window so I cleared my throat & started
"look, Bells. You've got to talk to Jake." she sighed in response. I couldn't have them like this we've known each other since we were kids, Jake is like a little brother to me, I hated seeing him this way. "I'm serious, Bella. He's been moping around Paul's. He won't sleep, he won't eat, he barely talks to anyone." she looked at me in shock. "the kid, loves you Bella at least tell him you're okay." she nodded looking back out the window. "infact you can help me with the few boxes of clothes after we see Charlie, you can come to Paul's house & see him then."
"y-yeah what's with boxes anyway?" she stuttered out pulling her long sleeve over her palm.
"I'm moving in with Paul. Figured might as well stop putting it off, he's my imprint." I gripped the wheel a little tighter thinking about him. "we're here" I said as I pulled into the station. I hopped out of the truck, to see her still in place. "I'll go get him." she nodded in response again.
I swung the door of the station open, Charlie's head snapped up. "What's wrong?" he asked a little alarmed.
"nothing, come outside with me." I nodded towards the door.

We stood outside for awhile whilst Charlie explained to Bella just how grounded she is & how worried he was.
"Dad, she can't be grounded today. She's helping me take some boxes to Paul's." he went to protest but I intervened "& she needs to see Jake." I raised an eyebrow, he put his hands up in a surrender.
"that sounds like a good idea. Go, pack some...things." he said sweeping her into one last embrace. "I'll see you tonight," he looked up at me "both of you. We'll have a barbecue or something, bring Paul & Jake." I nodded in response as we both hopped back into the ute. Charlie leaned in through the window to take bella's hand in his own. "don't you ever do that to me again, Bells." she nodded.