Evade

My phone buzzed in my pocket & I rolled my eyes, Paul just wouldn't give up.
I'd been avoiding him for days now, I just couldn't stomach talking to him after what happened with Bella.
Quil rolled his eyes at my stiffened frame, I looked up at him over the hood of Miss Ateara's truck that I was fixing for her.
"What?" I asked with confusion.
"Just answer it, he's going to keep calling you eitherway." He said with a shrug, I glared at him for a moment before he raised his eyebrows "you still haven't told me what happened." He said turning his gaze to my eyes.
I looked back down at the engine & sighed "I did tell you he & Bella had an argument, Paul got in her face. I don't like that." I explained.
Quil shook his head leaning on the side of my truck with his forearms "I don't buy it, Becka." He said.
My wrench slipped off the bolt I was tightening "shit" I hissed.
I looked up at Quil & sighed "food?" I asked, Quil's stomach rumbled in agreement & I chuckled.
We began to walk down his driveway & I slung my arm over his shoulders "I don't know why you're complaining you get to hang out with me, like everyday & I'm a goddamn delight." I said.
He laughed "that's one person"s opinion." He teased.
I mocked shock "well then." I said punching him in the arm.
He laughed "no, I really appreciate it. Without Jake around as much it's been boring. I mean I don't have any interest in Sam's cult but it would have been nice to at least get an invite." He said, I could hear the pain in his voice. As far as he knew his friends ditched him for Sam, that's got to hurt.

When we arrived at the little cafe Kim was working, her eyes widened as she saw me & she ran over "Becka!" She said breathlessly "why haven't you been answering your phone? If it wasn't for Jacob the guys would be really worried about you, well they still are but-" I shook my head.
"I'm just here for a burger, Kim." I said leaning my head on my hands "please, I don't need the third degree." She snapped her mouth shut & nodded running off to get our burgers.
Quil raised his eyebrows as he lent back in his chair "wow, they just can't take a hint can they?" He said with a shake of his head.
"Unfortunately." I agreed.

We ate our burgers & chatted, I stood to leave.
It was coming on dark & I really didn't want to walk back to Quil's in the darkness.
I walked up to the counter to pay for our meals, I handed Kim the money & a tip before turning around to walk away but a thought popped into my head. I looked over my shoulder at the small girl who was already watching me leave "tell Paul to stop calling, I don't want him around me or my family anymore." Her mouth dropped open at my words but she said nothing as I walked out of the cafe.

I said goodbye to Quil & his mum & was heading home when my phone vibrated in my pocket I rolled my eyes as I pulled it out & looked at the screen "for the love of god Paul, just leave me be!" I yelled into it.
"Becka, it's Sam." Sam's voice rang in the phone, I frowned at the road infront of me.
"What's up?" I asked, his tone sounded serious.
"You need to stay away from Quil, Joy has let us know about some things he's been going through & his mood swings. We think he'll change & with no one there to protect you things could to wrong." He warned.
I groaned "I'm not leaving him Sam, I'm all he has at this point & somebody needs to be there for Joy." I said, if he thought I was going to ditch my adoptive little brother in his time of need he could think a-fucking-gain.
I heard him sigh "I'll double patrol in the area then, anything to report to me? Or are you not talking to the rest of us because of Paul?" He asked.
I thought about it for a moment before replying "you guys are my family but you're also his family & you're all he has-" I let out a breath "I'll keep you updated on Quil & the red head, I've been meaning to tell you the redhead is apparently after Bella. Edward killed her mate to save Bella when she went missing last year & apparently she wants revenge, an eye for an eye." I expalined.
"Alright, I'll double patrol around your house too." He said "I'm here if you need me, Becka."
A sad smile spread across my face "ditto, oh & Sam?" He hummed in response "make sure Paul isn't on Bella duty." I said before hanging up.
I pulled into the driveway to see Bella's truck, a rustle in the woods behind the house made me stiffen. I turned to see Jacob run out of the woods & over to Bella's window & smiled.
I shook my head with a chuckle as I opened the front door, I was about to step inside when a voice stopped me "Becka-" Paul's voice broke at the end of my name, I didn't turn to look at him I couldn't. My heart began to hammer in my chest at the closeness of him, he didn't go to walk up the stairs but I could feel his eyes on me.
"Go away." I whispered.
"Becka, please-" he begged, I just shook my head.
"You need to get your anger in check before you come anywhere near my family again." I said "it's not forever, not if you can do that one thing." I walked inside & by passed Charlie who was watching the game, I ran up the stairs & threw myself on my bed.
I burried my head into my fluffy pillow & let the tears fall.
It hurt me to hurt him, it's as if my heart was being torn from my chest & I could feel every slow pull on the tendons inbetween.
My bedroom door slowly creaked open but I didn't look at who it was, I didn't care.
I sobbed into my pillow again & turned my body away from whoever was watching me in my most pathetic state.
My bed dipped with the sudden weight of someone climbing in beside me, a warm muscular arm pulled me into a solid chest.
The smell of smoke, pine & oil filled my nostrils & I turned into the familiar scent.
"I heard you from Bella's room, loca." Jacob whispered "you won't feel like this forever." He said placing a kiss on my forehead.
"What if I do?" I croaked out.
"Then I'll be here to pick up the pieces so will Quil & Embry. As always. We're your brothers & that's just what we do." He said tightening his hug, I nodded my head. I knew he was right even if I didn't have Paul, I'd always have my boys.

I rang Quil the next morning after Jacob had left "Becka, whats up?" Quil answered.
I smiled at his voice, Jacob was right as long as I stuck with my boys the hole in my chest would slowly fill again "skip school & come mountain climbing?" I asked.
Quil chuckled "okay yeah, let's do it." He said.
"I'll meet you at la push?" I asked.
"Sounds good, see you soon." He hung up the phone & I grabbed my jacket, it was freezig today but I didn't want to be stuck inside.
I was shutting my bedroom door when I heard a shuffle behind me, I turned with a frown to see Bella.
"Can I come?" She asked, she looked nervous.
I raised my eyebrows at her "since when do you like climbing mountains?" I asked.
She shrugged "I don't know, I feel kind of bad for Quil you know? He only really had you, Jake & Embry. Now he only has you-" she shook her head "I figured he could use an extra friend." She said.
I pursed my lips & nodded "okay but I'm leaving now so" I pointed to the stairs & stepped around her.
I was annoyed with Bella if she had just listened for once none of this would have happened, Jacob would have found a way to get around Sam's gag order & Paul wouldn't have lost it but oh no in typical Bella fashion she had to push the limits.
She had to keep pushing until she got what she wanted & then go right ahead & slap a werewolf, not just any werewolf either but the most unstable, violent, pissed off one possible.
I groaned at the thoughts as I jumped in my truck, Bella hoped in the passenger side & looked over at me as I started the engine.

We drove in silence for a few moments before Bella spoke "how long did you know?" She asked.
I looked over at her & back at the road as I let out a long breath.
"Before Jacob turned, when I met Paul he was already in the pack. I found out because he had imprinted on me." I explained.
Bella winced at my words "so he really is your soulmate." She said softly.
I nodded "yup, that angry son of a bitch is all mine." I said with a bitter chuckle. "Enough about me, how are you holding up with things? Werewolves & Vampires, I mean goddamn woman you know how to pick 'em." I teased.
She smiled & I could help but smirk at that "yeah well apparently I handled it alright but I'm still getting to know everything you know?" She said.
I nodded "it takes time, Bells. I'm here if you need me." I offered.
"I'm not suicidal, Becka. I'm just-" she shook her head.
"I'm not going to pretend to know what you're feeling but putting yourself in harms way all the time is going to get you one thing-" I turned to look at her "dead."
-----------------------------------------------------------
(HOLY HECK GUYS! IT'S BEEN AGES SINCE MY LAST UPDATE, I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A GOOD NEW YEAR. AS ALWAYS I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER, DON'T FORGET TO TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU ALL.)

Loco | Paul Lahote | Book Twoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें