& So Darkness Fell

I awoke with a start shrill screaming filled the darkness, I jumped out of bed to see Charlie running into Bella's room. Panic took over me as I rushed in to see Charlie grabbing her flailing arms & holding them close to him "Bella." he said but she didn't respond she just kept screaming "Bella!" he yelled, her eyes snapped open & she looked around the room wildly "it was just a dream." he said softly.
She let out a shaky breath as she pushed her hair back & laid back down, she rolled so her back was to Charlie & looked up to me, she locked eyes with me for a long minute before closing them again.
There was despair in her eyes, the so called man she loved left her in the middle of the woods at night & then skipped town. How was she supposed to feel?
Charlie stood & slowly left the room, tapping me on the shoulder as he passed me.
I looked to Bella who was holding her eyes shut tight as she gripped her pillow, I inwardly sighed as I walked over to her bed & laid out beside her, I pulled her into me & held her as she fell back to sleep.

I didn't get to sleep for the rest of the night, I laid beside her for hours as she cried softly in her dreams. I didn't know what to do, how could I possibly help her with this? No, this was something she had to figure out on her own.
I stood when my alarm began to go off in my room, I needed to get ready for school. Bella rolled over with a groan as I stood.
"where are you going?" she asked.
"I've got to get ready for school, I have my last round of tests for history today." I explained.
She nodded "maybe you should stay home today, Bells. You've been through a lot." I suggested.
She shook her head "I don't think Charlie would be okay with that." she said quietly.
I nodded "I think you should talk to him, he would be alright with it. You scared the shit out of him last night, Bells. Out of both of us." I said.
She nodded as she bit her bottom lip.

When I arrived at school Paul was waiting out the front for me, I frowned as I pulled my backpack further up my arm.
"hey you." I said as I approached him.
He looked royaly pissed off.
"how's Bella?" he asked.
"she's-" I paused not knowing what to say "not great, she was screaming & crying in her sleep last night I had to stay with her." I explained.
He nodded as his frown deepened.
"I don't know how to help her." I said my voice breaking slightly, I had never not been able to help someone. I could always fight off the threat but this wasn't one of those times.
Paul let out a breath through his nostrils as he pulled me into his chest "we'll figure something out, baby." he said kissing my forehead "at least the leech is gone, she's not in danger anymore." he said.
A glimmer of hope pushed it's way through my mind, he was right with Edward gone Bella was finally safe.
I nodded as the school bell rang & looked up at him he placed a soft kiss on my lips instantly relieving my muscles of their tense state.
"I'll see you when you're done with your tests?" he asked.
I nodded as he cupped my cheeks in his large warm hands & rubbed the pads of his thumbs along my cheek bones.
He gave me a small smile before kissing my forehead & walking back to his bike.
I walked up the steps, looks from my peers made me smile triumphantly guys looked at me with confusion & the girls with jealousy. I held my head up high as I walked through the doors.

The home room teacher was signing people in "Alice Cullen?" she called, no answer "Alice Cullen?" she called again.
"the Cullens left town." I explained.
The teacher frowned at the news.
"the school didn't notify me, I'm sorry." she said, I shrugged.
I didn't care, I hope they never came back. Bella would get better & she'd be safe.

I sat my history tests but I couldn't concentrate all I could think about was Bella & how she was doing at that moment.
I raised my hand catching my teachers attention "Ms.Swan?" he said acknowledging me.
"I need to go to the bathroom." I said.
He sighed taking his feet off the desk & reaching for a hall pass "you'll have to make up the time you miss for the test after class." he explained, I nodded knowing he was already going to say that.
I stood & took the pass rushing out of class & reaching for my phone, dialing Bella's number as I pushed the girls toilet door open, I heard her phone ringing as I entered & frowned at the closed cubical door.
I heard a sniff "Bella?" I asked pushing the door, it was unlocked. She sat on the closed toilet with her knees up to her chest, tears stained her pale cheeks & I sighed.
"Bells go home." I said "I'll call Charlie & tell him you're coming." I flipped open my phone & dialled Charlie's number.
"no-" she said hurriedly wiping her cheeks "I'm fine, I just needed a second." she said, I sat down in front of her & nodded.
"okay well, I'll take a second with you." I said as I lent my back against the wall.
She shook her head "you have tests." she said.
I chuckled "I also have a heart broken little sister, I know what's more important." I said raising my eyebrow at her.
She nodded but once again said nothing else.