Treating Chaos

Both the Hospitals were fast filling up, and the doctors have all been called in. It was chaotic with the Doctors and attenders trying to get to the victims. Dr Upadhyay was coordinating the arrival of the victims, according to severity she sends them to OT or the Trauma room, and the dead to the mortuary. Once the trauma care got filled up, she commandeered the private rooms too. When she got paged to the OT, and returned she was shocked to see that the whole system had gone kaput. It takes her a while to get back in order and was dismayed to see some serious case has been placed in rooms and disregarded. She screamed at the duty doctors and went about checking them. Some of them were luckily been looked in to. Most were having 2nd degree or 3rd degree burns and smoke inhalation, but one case looked in to had blunt force trauma in the back of the head with 2nd degree burns. The girl was slathered with antibiotic creams on the right side of her body neck and right side of her face and was moaning in pain.

"Who treated her, it is too much of medicine on her. Sister... Is there no sister?", yelled Dr Upadhyay.

Sister Jyothi came running.

"Who is the consultant here. Look at the medicine. Wipe them off.", shouted the Doctor and picked the chart to read the case file.

Sister got the brunt of the anger. When the cotton touched the medicine on the burns, the girl started screaming.

"Stop it sister. Was no pain medicine administered? Give her 0.5mg of Duramorph and start an IV. And the blunt force trauma? Does anyone know what is the cause? She seems stable, once she gets out of the pain, check with her and collect the details. Is anyone making a point of entering the number of patients in the system."

"I don't know Doctor."

"Then don't stand there and get to it. Go through all the rooms occupied and enter the condition and current situation in the system." Doctor ordered while walking out of the room. And for this case don't forget to mention the blunt force trauma and its severity. Call any doctor when she wakes up and if need be, notify the police. Has any other case with blunt force trauma come in now?"

"Don't know Doctor.", Sister Jyoti repeated.

"Well then check it out. Now." Dr Upadhyay left to check on others.

Sister Jyothi turned andsaw a gangly youth in attendee coat slinking away from the scene, "Theseuntrained doctors make my work more harder."