Stepford Club

At the News Channel Studio, the studio executive was trying to prepare Jaskaran Khatri on the list of questions, while another person was applying makeup on him.

"Mr. Khatri, Ms. Dara will ask these prepared questions. Your interview will start in another 1 hour, you may formulate answers by then."

"Why? Will I not be given time to think during interview?"

"No, that is not what I meant, of course you can take your time. These questions are for your approval, you may cut off the one's you do not want to be asked."

"It's alright, she may ask me anything."

"Ok sir, I will convey the same to Ma'am."

"JK."

"Yes sir?"

"Call me JK, not sir."

"Ok sir."

"No!" sighing, "Nah! It's fine."

"I will call you when its time."

"Ok. Thank you."

'Geez, it's like the Stepford robots here all look so stiff and perfectly made up, scurrying around in a rat race', thought JK.

Later he was called to the interview room, and he met with Ms. Meher Dara, the dynamic and loud TV anchor.

"I heard you have declined the questionnaire, not scared?"

"I am getting in to politics, be a public figure, so it's better to air everything out."

"Have a seat Mr.Khatri."

"Call me Jaskaran or JK, I haven't earned to be Mr.Khatri."

Director called in," We will go live in five, four, . . ."

"Welcome back to Question Hour with Meher, today we have the young and gallant, the new name in politics, Jaskaran Khatri"; and turning to JK, "Welcome Jaskaran, and how was your foray in to politics?"

"Hello. Wow! Straight to questions, ok, well I got in to politics in my years at Hindu College. Was just a happy go lucky guy interested in normal guy things, till few boys from the student group misbehaved with our friend. We retaliated and decided the bully system of those in power need to change. We rallied students and started our union in college and I became the default leader, as no one else wanted the job". He mused. "From there it was slight steps for us to get involved in more socio-economic issues and grow in to a party."

"Does being young and inexperienced effect how people perceive you?"

"It does. Well my demographic is the young, as I vibe with them. I can understand them and have similar views. With the older generation, very few have come to terms with us. What I perceive as a threat and their understanding is different. Me trying to make them see my perspective have not gone down well with me."

"You are talking about your continuous ravings of Threats from the Chinese."

"Yeah, that is one of my main concern. And no, they are not the idiotic ravings of a mental patient as being painted by your esteemed colleagues in the News industry. They are a serious threat to our country. We look to Pakistan and their constant violation of cease fires and terrorist infiltration. They are loud and are creating problems, so we should be alert, but we are missing the subtle invasions of Chinese army, and the way they poke to test our diligence. Our government is not grasping the small movements they are making by getting bases in countries surrounding us, like 70% stake in Sri Lankan port, 85% in Myanmar port, and how after Pakistan lost Trump led US support, China has turned up as the new backer. It is time our government considered China to be more dangerous than Pakistan."

"China has done nothing to us."

"No, not yet. They are testing the waters, like the road incursion in to Arunachal Pradesh by the army. They are getting to a strong point and covering all the bases and surrounding us. Once all the pieces are in place they will strike fast and furious, sorry for my pun. We should be countering all their moves and not wait for the last moment. If we do not act soon our India will just be another country under Chinese Communist republic with our Rights supressed." Jaskaran continues, "They are playing a long game. And the price is a complete socio-economic domination. Most countries are dependent on Chinese products and I guess most does owe them cash. One day they will ask for the amount and the countries will not be able to return and they will crash and up for grabs by the Chinese, like the story The Selection mentions, where America gets invaded or something."

"Ha! You read teen novels. That is something we didn't know about you"

(Laughs) "Nothing of that sort. Roz, (hmm) Devika read it and mentioned it to corroborate my Chinese theory."

"Roz! Huh! Let's talk about her, and your upcoming nuptials on 14th September. Our viewers are very interested to hear about your marriage to your best friend's sister. How did your friend take your hooking up with his sister."

"It was nothing of that sort. Devika and I didn't betray or hurt Dev, and we were not (quotes) hooking up long way back. Dev and I were childhood friends, I went to the same boarding in Lonavala with him and he followed me to Delhi for college. Both our parents being hoteliers we ran with the same crowd. I had known Devika a long time during my constant visit to his home, and nothing was going on as the gossips suggests."

JK took a sip before continuing, "Few years back we got involved in an issue in Mumbai, she came to support her brother. Those days when we were striking at the Vidhan Sabha, she was darting in and out to feed us, and later when the strike turned to Nirahara Satyagraha, she stayed back and took care of us. Something developed between us, and I spoke and apologised to Dev for even thinking that way."

JK laughs, "He went to scream at her, instead he got a scolding from her. She said she never thought of me before and was not at all interested in me. She considered me boorish and egoistical, which I was, now I have grown on her and she likes me. Dev considered this, and spoke to me if I was serious, and went to his father. Mr Kamath loves Roz and had known me for long, so they went with a formal proposal to my family. And thus, our story came to fruition."

"Maybe she liked the change from Playboy to serious Politician."

"Maybe..."

"Is Rose Hotels named after your (pointedly) Roz?"

"No, it was the other way around, Mr. Kamath loves her and named her."

"About your father-in-law, could you quote on the new construction coming up and the problems with the slum dwellers. Isn't their cause something your party is all about?"

"Yes, it is. And don't place me with your run off the mill politicians. I have listened to their problems and have talked to Mr. Kamath, he is not interested in destroying their life. They had encroached on lands belonging to his family, which they want to develop. His team has developed plan for their relocation, which I have gone through and does provide with a good housing for the slum dwellers."

"And?"

"They haven't accepted it. And don't want to leave. So his group is going through the legal process, about which I cannot comment much on. Am still trying to find an amicable solution for both the parties."

"Thank you JK, for answering our questions."

"Thank you."

Camera zooming onMeher,"Next week, our guest...."