The two of them were high-school sweetheart and later got engaged a couple of years after university. They were both still young, however anyone that knew them, knew that it was an eventuality for them to be married in the future.

Mia was initially upset at the idea that Aaron would be moving away to another country, despite knowing that it was a great opportunity for him. However, being as close as they were, it was still hard at first. Of course later became easier to adapt to the new normal.

"You're forgiven. Just don't let it happen again," Mia then told him.

"Never. Anyway, tell me how you're doing?"

The siblings often had this little catch-up phone call, which was mostly Aaron's way of checking up on Mia, something she knew.

When Mia had told her parents about her wish to move out and live with Nicole and Chloe, initially it was met with a cold response. They were too worried about her safety and general well-being if she were to move away from home. It took a lot of convincing and Aaron's help to finally get them to agree.

Mia knew that Aaron would call to check-in with her, because she was more likely to tell him what was going on, than her parents.

"I'm good. Enjoying my weekend off so far."

"Ah, before having to go back to the boring accounting work?" Aaron chuckled into the phone.

There were quite a few times that Mia had complained about her job to him.

"I wish," Mia then sighed. "I think I actually miss those days."

Before her job felt like it was a little unfulfilling, since it wasn't something she was interested in. However, she'd rather be doing that, the be in the company of Sebastian.

"What? What are you talking about? Did you get a new job?"

At Aaron's questions, Mia froze. She realised for weeks now she avoided telling him about her new role, only to have let it slip now.

"Nothing," she tried to quickly dismiss his questions, but then though that was a terrible move.

"Mia."

She hated it when he used that older brother tone on her.

Mia sighed. "Fine, I'll tell you. But you can't yell at me."

The last thing she wanted was Aaron being mad at her and he definitely would be after what she had to tell him.

"That depends on what you tell me. I'm not making any promises. Now, spill."

"I am, temporarily, Sebastian Carter's assistant."

There was moment of silence as she said the words and despite trying to emphasise that this set-up wasn't forever, Mia knew that Aaron wasn't going to care.

"You're working for him!?" Aaron yelled into the phone in disbelief.

After the stunt that Sebastian had pulled in high school, the degrading words he called Mia including stealing a kiss from her, Aaron wanted to punch the guy who he used to call his best mate.

From that moment, he had cut his friendship with most of his friends, Sebastian, Blake, especially Tucker and Victoria. It hurt him deeply to do so, but no friendship was worth his little sisters' tears.

"Aaron," Mia sighed.

She completely understood why he was yelling, it was justified. Aaron was the one to pick up the pieces once Mia completely broke down. He had somehow found out that she was being bullied at school and talked her parents into homeschooling.