106: Tomorrow

It was only the next morning I found out that Dad and Rosita had left late the previous night, heading somewhere unknown to anyone except them

It was only the next morning I found out that Dad and Rosita had left late the previous night, heading somewhere unknown to anyone except them. I was only slightly concerned, considering they both knew what they were doing out there, but at the same time, I had a bad feeling about what they could've been up to. They didn't understand what Carl had been trying to tell me and Rick, and they couldn't. They still thought Negan had to die, along with every other one of the Saviors that followed him. They didn't understand that every life had meaning yet, but they would.

By then, I was coop-sick, and needed to get out into the world again. Maggie had told me there was a supply store around twenty miles to the east of Hilltop, which she hoped would have some sort of food. Hilltop was running extremely low on food, and it was getting to a point that starvation was a true threat.

I took Lea and Alex with me, considering they were just as eager to get outside as I was. I felt confident that we could handle a simple supply run by ourselves; we had done more than that in the past.

The three of us got into one of Hilltop's cars, me driving, Lea at my side, and Alex in the back, and drove off towards the store, hope slowly sparking in the backs of our minds.

The store didn't look too promising when we arrived, but we still kept our heads high. Along with our weapons.

"You really think there could be anything useful here?" Lea whispered to me as we walked inside, guns aimed and ready. I gave her a shrug, looking around warily.

"I don't know, but it can't hurt to look. Remember, food of any kind is a priority," I told the both of them. They gave me adamant nods, and with that, I directed Lea towards the right side of the store, and Alex to the left. I took the center, stalking into the aisle directly ahead and scanning the shelves for any type of food.

Most of the shelves were completely barren, save for a few cans of year-expired food. I took them anyway, knowing that some was better than none. Of course there wouldn't be fresh vegetables or home-cooked meals in a store that hadn't been touched in years, but I didn't want to come back to Maggie empty-handed. We could at least bring her, and the Hilltop, some sort of sustenance.