77: We Win

Around an hour or two later, there was an adamant knock at my door. I had just been lying on my bed, gazing up at the ceiling, lost in thought, so when the sound came, it gave me a start. I sighed, figuring it was either Rick or someone else coming to talk to me about what had happened, make sure I was okay. I wasn't in the mood to talk.

"Look, I'm sorry, but I don't wanna take about it, alright?" I said before I could even open the door. As soon as I did, though, I was met with Rick, and I could tell something other than the past was on his mind.

"Something's wrong with Maggie, it's the pregnancy. We gotta get here to Hilltop, now. Are you in, or out?"

My answer was immediate.

"In."

A group of us, consisting of Rick, Abraham, Sasha, Aaron, Carl, Eugene, Lea, and myself, set off in the RV with Maggie to get her to the Hilltop

A group of us, consisting of Rick, Abraham, Sasha, Aaron, Carl, Eugene, Lea, and myself, set off in the RV with Maggie to get her to the Hilltop. Alex had decided to hang back, figuring he would try and keep things running smoothly while all of us were gone. I asked where some of the others were, such as Glenn and Michonne, and Sasha told me that they set off after my dad.

An awful feeling rose in the pit of my stomach, but I silently kept it at bay. It wasn't about me; I couldn't break down, I didn't get to do that. I had to be strong, and keep myself together.

As we were driving to the Hilltop, I sat on one of the side seats, Lea by my side. Carl was talking to his dad about something I couldn't hear, and a thought crossed my mind that maybe they were talking about me. Carl kept stealing worried glances in my direction that I didn't fail to miss, even though he tried to be discreet.

Suddenly, the RV came to a slow halt, and Abraham, who was driving, signaled for Rick. Lea and I immediately got up, becoming worried, and stepped to see out of the RV's huge windshield. My heart stopped for a moment when I saw around ten men in front of us, cars piled up behind them and blocking our path.

Rick looked out at the situation, pondering, before he opened the RV doors and stepped outside. The rest of us, like good soldiers falling in line behind their commander, followed him.

We walked out, and stood in a straight line in front of our RV, accessing the situation. It wasn't until I got up close that I noticed a dead man, beaten to death, lying on the ground in front of the group.

"He was someone who was with a whole lot of someones who didn't listen," a man elaborated, talking about the dead guy.

Rick didn't care. "We can make a deal. Right here, right now."

The man at the front, most likely the leader, grinned. "That's right, we can. Give us all your stuff. We'll probably have to kill one of you, that's just the way it is, but then we can start moving forward on business. All you have to do is listen."