84: Sidney Dixon

As Rick walked silently up to the gates of the new community, his mind raced with thoughts.

That could be the place that would win it all for them; the three communities, Alexandria, Hilltop, and that one, the Kingdom, could team up, and together, overpower the Saviors. They could gain control over their lives, win them back, and make sure no one ever fell into Negan's grasp ever again. He would kill him, once and for all, and put an end to his awful dictatorship.

The gates to the Kingdom opened, and Rick was met with one of the most beautiful sights he had ever seen.

His feet carried him into the community, almost in a trance. He was gazing around at all the crops, all the buildings, all the people. There were hundreds, it seemed, much more than what Alexandria and the Hilltop had combined. Rick quaintly smiled to himself as he looked around in awe.

"They've got the numbers," he said, more to himself than anyone else.

"Yeah, but who says they can all fight?" Sasha replied, walking up to be in stride with the leader.

Rick gave the woman a soft smile. "They can learn," he said, confidence in his voice. She returned the gesture, and gave Rick a quick nod.

Jesus led them to the entryway to the auditorium, where he asked them to wait while he went inside. He had to make sure the "King" was available for an audience. That was about the only thing Rick was skeptical about, concerning the community; they referred to their leader as "King Ezekiel."

As they waited patiently, Rick felt a gentle hand on his wrist, and turned gently to see it was Michonne, as he'd expected. Although, what he didn't expect to see was an urgent gleam in her eyes; she looked as if she'd just seen a ghost.

Carefully, she pulled Rick aside, away from the group. "You okay?" he asked her, but she put a finger to his mouth, shushing him. She let out a quiet breath, and her eyes remained locked onto Rick's as she spoke.

"The girl to my left, in the light gray sweatshirt and jeans, over by the tomato bed... tell me I'm not crazy."

Rick grew a confused gleam in his eyes, and shyly stole a glance to his right, Michonne's left. He spotted who she was speaking of, and at first, thought it was just a normal, teenage girl. Her hair was long, a darker brown, and held tightly in french braids cascading down her back. She was around five-foot-five, and was on the skinner side for her age.

Then, she turned her head to the side in a motion, and Rick got a quick glimpse of her face.

All the color drained from him in less than a second.

"Oh, my God..." he whispered, his eyes remaining fixated on the girl. It was her, he knew it was.

But how?

"I think it was staged, by her and Rosita," Michonne said, causing Rick's head to snap back over to her. "She ran away from the Sanctuary, but she knew if they found her... it would end badly. My guess is she wanted to protect us, make sure no one else was killed; she wanted to make sure everyone would stop looking for her."

Rick looked back over to Sidney Dixon, and truly saw how beaten up she seemed to be. Her right eye had a large bruise beneath it, along with many other cuts that littered her face. She seemed more worn-down, older; tired. She looked like she'd been through something awful, and Rick had a feeling that she probably had been.